Aquarium worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmalBettaLover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've planted an unknown grass into my old 1 gallon aquarium for an experiment
It was used as a hospital tank before
Then yesterday i found some white tiny worms in it... Like a lot of. Currently there isn't any fish in that Aquarium
But my concern is,Is that harmful for fish?
And what kind of worm is that?IMG_20191006_183040_947.jpgIMG_20191006_183000_887.jpgIMG_20191006_182907_371.jpgIMG_20191006_183645.jpg

Looks like a harmless worm
"One rule applies, to calm the nerves of the hobbyist; most worms seen outside the fish are usually not internal parasites and not considered as harmful to the fish. Parasitic or harmful worms will not be visible on the gravel or the glass of the aquarium."

Honestly any fish you put in there will probably eat it.

Hello Amal...

The worm is quite likely a form of Planaria. It's harmless as long as the water stays pretty clean. There are species that aren't so good for the tank if the water is allowed to foul due to an increase in fish or plant waste material.

B

Defiantly Detritus.
Planaria are a bit fatter with a distinct pointed head, move like a worm, and parasitic.

Detritus move in a very squiggly motion when in the water column, are skinnier, and are harmless. They eat dead plant matter in the substrate and uneaten food in the tank. Fish can eat them but bigger fish dont really care to waste time for them. Just vacuum them out and all will be fine. They are harmless and can be helpful as well. Just an eyesore.

Back
Top Bottom