Are Glo-fish sterile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yes, my son took a walk on the evil side and bought Glo-fish Tetras. I doubt he knows about the controversy and now that he has them and is excited for them, I'm not burdening him with it. I don't want to put him off fishkeeping as he's just getting started.

So I'm wondering if these guys are sterile or if anyone has had any luck breeding them?

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

Yes, my son took a walk on the evil side and bought Glo-fish Tetras. I doubt he knows about the controversy and now that he has them and is excited for them, I'm not burdening him with it. I don't want to put him off fishkeeping as he's just getting started.

So I'm wondering if these guys are sterile or if anyone has had any luck breeding them?

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

No, they are not sterile. Yes, they are bred just like their non glo counterparts. No, you can't breed or grow them for sale as they are patented so you would be infringing on a patent right. ( Just something else to add to the controversy. :whistle: ) (y)

No, they are not sterile. Yes, they are bred just like their non glo counterparts. No, you can't breed or grow them for sale as they are patented so you would be infringing on a patent right. ( Just something else to add to the controversy. :whistle: ) (y)

who owns the patent, Monsanto?:cool:

My Glofish danios breed all the time, you can't stop nature! I personally find it strange that you can patent an animal, and besides there is no sign or anything when you buy them that says it's illegal to breed them!

They do have a website that provides all the info, and I think the breeding ban is so other companies don't destroy the business.

I've always been curious about what happens when you mix the colors, like blue and orange...

My Glofish danios breed all the time, you can't stop nature! I personally find it strange that you can patent an animal, and besides there is no sign or anything when you buy them that says it's illegal to breed them!

They do have a website that provides all the info, and I think the breeding ban is so other companies don't destroy the business.

I've always been curious about what happens when you mix the colors, like blue and orange...

You would think that but you would be wrong. :whistle: Here's the info: https://www.glofish.com/our-company/license-notice/
pay close attention to #s 4 & 5 ;)

Now is that ethical to patent like that? I'll leave that up to everyone else :whistle:

I would maintain that no man has any right to patent any of nature, even when it's man altered nature. Although I find these acts appalling, I still would disagree with trademarking/patenting wild animals who have no knowledge they are merely a science experiment. Nor can I condone the acts that created these fish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would maintain that no man has any right to patent any of nature, even when it's man altered nature. Although I find these acts appalling, I still would disagree with trademarking/patenting wild animals who have no knowledge they are merely a science experiment. Nor can I condone the acts that created these fish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Apparently the international governments disagree with you as they did issue the patents. Also, these are not wild animals. :nono: In fact, in order to make the glow & berry Tetras, they had to breed out the natural wild colors of the wild fish so they are now domesticated versions of a wild animal NOT wild themselves. But if you really want to stop things like this, don't buy the fish and urge others not to as well.

That's exactly what I meant, the WEBSITE mentions it, but if you buy them at a store, there is no notice at all....

That would be the fault of the store however, those parts, #4 & #5, talk about intentionally breeding them for sale, trade or barter. The person selling them to the store would probably get a negative response from the fish buyer as they were most likely warned of their responsibilities towards these fish. That's just the way I see it. ;)

That would be the fault of the store however, those parts, #4 & #5, talk about intentionally breeding them for sale, trade or barter. The person selling them to the store would probably get a negative response from the fish buyer as they were most likely warned of their responsibilities towards these fish. That's just the way I see it. ;)

Again I agree, but I have never seen it in a store nor do I think is it required. They do However you usually have a sticker that says "they are born colored, not dyed" and they are patented....

Back
Top Bottom