Are my angels old enough to sex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432997794.488308.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432997903.574265.jpg

My main concern is that they are two males, I've had them both since they were dime sized. Recent lip locking trigger the thought theat they are expressing dominance over the territory. Also the yellow one (larger now) is a bit more aggressive towards the black one. Hopefully someone with more experience can help me out.

Thanks

I think they are still to small to sex. I have trouble sexing large ones still though. There is an old saying that you can't truly sex them until you see them in action of laying and fertilizing. Sure are pretty though regardless of sex. Happy tanking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Forget about size, how old are the fish? You said they were dime size when you got them, How long ago was that?
I have my hunches but the age will determine how accurate those hunches are ;) (y)

Im pretty sure the yellow is a male. But like people all fish have certain physical differences so take that with a grain of salt xD

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

That yellow one is awesome! I have never seen a gold angel with a black tail!

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Then what you are probably seeing is the beginning of pairing. I believe ( as my best guess, as sexing without seeing them spawning is never 100%) is that the yellow is a male and the dark a female. This is based on fin structure and since we are no longer looking at wild fish and who have been inbred many times over so they do not always show typical gender appearances, this is just my guess. ;).
Now with this information, I should also point out that if your goal is not to breed them, pairs in community tanks can be very disruptive so if you see signs of them bullying any other fish in the tank, I would remove either the pair, the other fish or just the female as male only schools are a better choice (IMO) than female only. Males will only fight until a hierarchy is established. Females, on the there hand, will continue when they spawn ( which they will sometimes do even without a male present. )

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom