Are my Blue Rams displaying breeding behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a pair (male and female) of blue rams, which I absolutely love. Lots of personality and very pretty. They both greet me when I come close to the tank, and the female is a notorious beggar - she always hangs completely vertical at the top of the tank waiting for me to drop food in anytime I stop and look at the tank. It's quite cute.
Today, however, both Rams were in their territory of the tank where I can hardly see them (behind a piece of slate), and didn't greet me when I came close. I peered behind the slate through a crack, and could see the female basically sitting/slowly rubbing her belly against the gravel in a small depression. She would, and then the male would, almost like taking turns. I've never seen them do this before. When any of my dwarf corys approached them, they acted very territorial and chased them away, which I've also never seen them do. When I started dropping food in, only the male came to the top and the female stayed put, which is VERY unlike her, she's normally the hungriest little fish in the tank. He would eat, go back down to her, and come back for more food. Only once did they both come to the top to eat, and not for very long. I ended up dropping a pellet down to their corner wjere she went back down, as I wanted her to eat.

My first thought was that maybe she layed eggs, but I couldn't see any, and don't exactly know what they look like. I didn't want to disturb their area in case she had.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever seen them act like this before? Would it be safe for me to observe more closely?
Thanks!

Sounds like they are either laying eggs or getting ready to. They will often make "practice runs" over the area they are going to lay the eggs on. The eggs will be small and not totally round. They will also be a clearish or a clearish tan. If they do lay eggs, don't be surprised if they don't last. The parents will often eat the eggs if other fish (like corys) don't eat them first.
Its a really neat process to see in any case. Congratulations! :D

Thanks Meredith - how long would it take for their eggs to hatch?

I would love some little baby Rams - I'm sure they'd be very cute :)

Hi Corey:

Yes that is practice runs from the sounds of it. Rams prefer to dig holes and practice and then move onto flat surfaces for laying the eggs.

It takes about 72 hours for the eggs to hatch into wigglers and then another 72 hours to become free swimming.

If you happen to have any other fish (primarily bottom feeders) please don't be disgruntled if your eggs mysteriously disappear. Mine are almost consistantly eaten with my Bolivian Rams

If you do see eggs and re afraid they'll be eatting you can always pull the eggs and hatch them your with out the parents. It's a really easy proscess to do and don't rechoir alot of work. I pull all my fishs eggs and hatch myself. I have a step by step post if your wanting to know more.

Back
Top Bottom