Are my cories breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have three peppered cories of unknown sex
I think at least one is female
Two have pink stomachs and are rather fat
I have driftwood in my aquarium
Yesterday I did a cool water pwc
Does this indicate breeding?
They have also started chasing each other

Corydoras Breeding?

Hello e...

Hard to tell for sure. Corys are difficult to sex. Keep the water chemistry very stable by doing large, weekly water changes. Corys prefer a neutral pH (7), but mine is 7.6 and I have eggs in my tanks on a fairly regular basis. No fry, because the eggs are very tasty to my other fish. The eggs will likely show up on plants, decorations and even on the tank glass.

If you're serious about getting some Cory fry, then retrieve the eggs with a credit card and put them in another tank. The catch is, the chemistry of the new tank must be very close to the tank where the eggs were laid or the eggs won't develop.

Good luck!

B

One of the "tricks" to getting catfish to spawn is to lower the temp then raise it. (We used to put ice cubes in the tank and the next day they would spawn.)
It sounds like the water change inspired them to spawn. The chasing is normal for cory cat spawning. As mentioned in another post, the eggs are going to be eaten by other fish if there are any in with the corys so if you want to save the eggs, remove the other fish (the parents need to go too once the spawning has stopped.) OR, take whatever decorations the eggs are on and move them and the water from the spawning tank into another tank for rearing. (Dealer's choice, both ways work ;))

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks
I don't have another tank so I hope they spawn in some obscure nook in my driftwood

sorry to say but...

Thanks
I don't have another tank so I hope they spawn in some obscure nook in my driftwood

Sorry to say this but that's not how Cory cats spawn. They are egg scatterers. You're thinking of plecos and some other catfish species. If you are serious about breeding and rearing them, you need to get another tank (y)

I didn't know so I was just guessing lol

So now you know :D:brows::lol::blink::D:lol::brows:;)

But seriously, they are a cool fish to breed so if you can get them spawning, you should make the effort to raise out the fry.
I used to breed Albino corys in an outdoor vat and you would see when they were ready by how they were swimming. It would be like a parade with the females in front and the males right behind all swimming in a giant circle. Once they stopped circling, they came out of the vat. Babies came in a week or so.

Andy Sager said:
One of the "tricks" to getting catfish to spawn is to lower the temp then raise it. (We used to put ice cubes in the tank and the next day they would spawn.)
It sounds like the water change inspired them to spawn. The chasing is normal for cory cat spawning. As mentioned in another post, the eggs are going to be eaten by other fish if there are any in with the corys so if you want to save the eggs, remove the other fish (the parents need to go too once the spawning has stopped.) OR, take whatever decorations the eggs are on and move them and the water from the spawning tank into another tank for rearing. (Dealer's choice, both ways work ;))

Hope this helps (y)

When you put ice cubes in the tank how many did you use ? And how old were the cories?

Breeding Cories

When you put ice cubes in the tank how many did you use ? And how old were the cories?

If I remember correctly, we used styrofoam boxes with full bag liners so there was about 2 to 3 gals of water. We only used about 2 or 3 regular sized cubes because these were being kept in an air conditioned room and we didn't need to lower the temp that much. Most people today can acheive the same thing with cooler water from the tap.
As for the age, I couldn't tell you because the breeders we had came from another wholesaler who imported them. I do know that they were of medium size, nothing too large or too small.

Hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom