Are my corydoras eggs fertile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
My albino corydoras bred two days ago for the first time (woohoo!) in the community tank and I've managed to save this much. I put the eggs in a small cup in the community tank and put the air stone in it. This is the result. Most of the eggs are light brown with some of them a bit half grey and half light brown. I've heard that purely white eggs with fuzz around them should be removed, but I couldn't see any :?

Are these eggs fertilised? And how long until they hatch (I can't wait!)?

Thanks

Attachments

• Eggs.jpg
    Eggs.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 742
If they are not white they should be good....
I believe in 3-4 days the eggs should hatch depending on temp and species, but Brenna is our resident cory breeder now....
Some ad methylene blue to help keep eggs from fungus...
If you don't have any H202(hydrogen peroxide) will work or just water changes to keep eggs clean....
Good luck keep us updated.

Look fertile IMO. Do what Coral Bandito said, add a few drops of H2O2 every day and you'll be good to go. Keep them under the flow of that air stone, keeps fungus away as well.

They look good to me! You're doing great! A lot better than my first time :whistle:

I've tried both methyl blue and H2O2 as antifungals and had much better results with the MB. Some people have had the opposite experience though. Use whatever works for you! Just note that hydrogen peroxide needs to be added fairly often as it decomposes quickly while MB is a one-time add.

IAL keeps them fungus free also. I've found through suggestion here that they need a bit of sand on the bottom of their container once they hatch.

But yeah I agree they look good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you. I am glad to hear they're doing well. I really can't be bothered to go out now to get some hydrogen peroxide from my local pharmacy. I also heard that methylene blue is harmful to the bacteria in the filter. Is this true, because the cup is in the community tank?

The cup floating in tank is fine...
The MB/H2O2 would only go in cup until eggs become wigglers(2,3,4 days?).
Never back into main tank...
I dump egg water in small amounts out and add tank water back while hatching to keep clean and fresh...

The cup is on the bottom of the tank, like on the gravel :lol: so I don't think it's possible to add any methylene blue without damaging everything else, but I guess hydrogen peroxide could work. Anyway, is it really necessary to add hydrogen peroxide because it's the third day so I guess they'll hatch by tomorrow? And the eggs are still light brown in colour. I'll tell you when they've hatched or not. Thanks for your help.

I would just leave them without an antifungal then, yeah. Is there something keeping the other fish from getting to them?

I just placed the divider of my old guppy breeder box on top of it, and placed a pebble on top of that too to stop it falling off. I know it's cheap but, if it works, then it's cool :cool:

But I need to check for these pesky ramshorn snails that get into it once in a while. It makes me so pissed off when I come back and see one of those little buggers snacking on the eggs.

Attachments

• Eggs 2.jpg
    Eggs 2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 110
I'm not sure if this is bad, but when I woke up today, I noticed that the eggs were becoming fuzzy. However, they're mostly still yellow or light brown in colour. Is this a bad thing? And is it time for me to get methylene blue or hydrogen peroxide?

I'm not sure if this is bad, but when I woke up today, I noticed that the eggs were becoming fuzzy. However, they're mostly still yellow or light brown in colour. Is this a bad thing? And is it time for me to get methylene blue or hydrogen peroxide?
The only difference the MB or H2O2 will make now is to possibly save eggs not bad already..
That being said fungus eggs usually look bright white so if you see color still hold out for good?
They could be becoming wigglers but I am unfamiliar with cory eggs still?

Fuzzy eggs usually = dead eggs. Not completely sure though, if they're not full out white then they could still hatch. If you have any mesh screen or panty hose or something really fine you could place that over the top of the container to keep snails out. If the eggs don't hatch in the next 2-3 days I'm not sure if they're good anymore.

Yes! Most of them hatched and they look so cute swimming around at the bottom of the cup! The lighter yellow eggs with fuzz growing around them didn't hatch. Just the clear, tan ones. Maybe I should have put some antifungal in there if I wanted to save more :/

But four of them escaped the cup and got eaten ;( only the smart ones survive lol

Turkey baster work wonders for this kind of thing. Also don't feed your fry for the first couple days because they are still feeding off the egg sack attached to them.

Brenna

Back
Top Bottom