Are my female guppies pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaceysfishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Me and my fiancé have 3 female guppies living with one male. Do you think they are pregnant yet?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 59
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452404597.614119.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452404613.380890.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452404628.316437.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452404650.938263.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
-KC

Yes. The black area near her vent are the babies forming. That area will get bigger as the fry grow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay thanks. To me it looks like 2 of them are pregnant. But is it most likely that all three females are pregnant?

-KC

Yes. If you have a male guppy then I can say with 99% certainty all your females step pregnant. They reproduce that easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just woke up to my male guppy dead. Could the pregnant females have killed him?

-KC

Thank you for answering brennae :)

-KC

Doubt they killed him. I've never seen it happen and I literally have hundreds of guppies. He could have been old. They aren't the longest lived fish.

Brenna

Oh okay thanks. Good thing it hasn't been 30 days. I'll exchange him. Can I get a cobra guppy and still use him to mate with females?

-KC

You can breed any two guppies you like. The outcome will be uncertain as to what the fry look like.
Also the female retains the male's sperm for quite awhile so they will probably drop maybe 6 more batches of fry before they have some from the new male. It may not happen like that but if you don't replace the male right away you'll still have guaranteed fry from at least one of those females again.

Brenna

Yeah my mom bred them for awhile and it was rather easy. Pretty much keep them fed and have a place for the fry to hide and it's good to go

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom