Are my german blue rams mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had 2 female blue rams. I added a male, and a Bolivian ram. The male instantly started swimming with one of the females. They pecked at a flat spot on the castle, did some shaking dance, and now attack any ram who comes near. They seem to leave the other fish alone. Can someone verify that they're mating?

http://youtu.be/fHQu-2CbSEA

and I was told to move mating fish to a separate tank. However, I literally acclimated the male, and this happened. Could it happen that fast?

Looks to me like they are defending territory for future eggs to come! I'd say they'll spawn soon! The female has a bright pink belly, that's a good sign.

The little dance they do is called courtship, it's normal!

Nice rams btw, they're beautiful!

Thanks so much! Here's hoping they don't kill all my other fish! Or should I remove them to their own tank?

Ok....definitely mating! I had 2 pretty little girl German blue rams, and 1 Bolivian ram. Never an issue. I added the male blue German ram, and now one of my little girls is pink and rosy. The other is dead. :( the Bolivian ram is bigger, and is following the pair around, challenging the male. Any suggestions? The pair has no trouble with anyone else.....so far. I can't catch the Bolivian. I really like my little pair (my first of any species), and I'm very afraid the Bolivian will kill my blue male. Any suggestions?

Ok....definitely mating! I had 2 pretty little girl German blue rams, and 1 Bolivian ram. Never an issue. I added the male blue German ram, and now one of my little girls is pink and rosy. The other is dead. :( the Bolivian ram is bigger, and is following the pair around, challenging the male. Any suggestions? The pair has no trouble with anyone else.....so far. I can't catch the Bolivian. I really like my little pair (my first of any species), and I'm very afraid the Bolivian will kill my blue male. Any suggestions?

Sorry about your female.

What size tank do you have? That will help in deciding on whether or not to rehome the Bolivian ram. Rams hangout in the low to mid range so If you don't have a longer tank, it might not work out well

55g tall. It's longer than wide tho. 2 blue rams now (them), a Bolivian ram (the issue), 2 denisons barbs who are acting quite freaky and sneaky themselves....but run from the rams, a bala shark who is beautiful, but stupid.....and kinda swims around aimlessly (poor thing needs to be with his kind, but he seems happy enough), and the angels...who all stay in the top half of the tank, but don't appreciate all the fighting! All of them are adolescents. The shark is the longest fish (a little over 2"). My er tank has baby angels in it right now (new, and being watched closely), so I really wish I could figure a way to make this work without moving anyone. But, I will be very upset if I come home to my male blue ram hurt or dead. I've wanted a pair for a long time. Will all this fighting stop after they the female lays eggs? Would I see them? It seems way too quick, but there must be some scent around the castle (rams home) because even the bala seems to circle the area. Could there already be eggs?

55g tall. It's longer than wide tho. 2 blue rams now (them), a Bolivian ram (the issue), 2 denisons barbs who are acting quite freaky and sneaky themselves....but run from the rams, a bala shark who is beautiful, but stupid.....and kinda swims around aimlessly (poor thing needs to be with his kind, but he seems happy enough), and the angels...who all stay in the top half of the tank, but don't appreciate all the fighting! All of them are adolescents. The shark is the longest fish (a little over 2"). My er tank has baby angels in it right now (new, and being watched closely), so I really wish I could figure a way to make this work without moving anyone. But, I will be very upset if I come home to my male blue ram hurt or dead. I've wanted a pair for a long time. Will all this fighting stop after they the female lays eggs? Would I see them? It seems way too quick, but there must be some scent around the castle (rams home) because even the bala seems to circle the area. Could there already be eggs?

You will most likely find ripped fins but i doubt there will be any deaths.

No the fighting won't stop once she lays eggs, it will be the same or worse.

Yes you can see the eggs, but they're very hard to find. They are typically on a flat surface (your castle) so you should be able to see them :)

I'm going to probably re-home the Bolivian if I can catch him. I'm going to the unhealthy fish section, because I believe my blue male has ich (raised salt-like white dots). I saw one when I came home, and 4 now. Surely they can't mate with parasites in the tank....right? I have started turning up the heat. Does this ever get easier?

I'm going to probably re-home the Bolivian if I can catch him. I'm going to the unhealthy fish section, because I believe my blue male has ich (raised salt-like white dots). I saw one when I came home, and 4 now. Surely they can't mate with parasites in the tank....right? I have started turning up the heat. Does this ever get easier?

Rehoming the Bolivian is not necessary to me but better safe than sorry I guess.

I've had a pair spawn with just a few dots of ich. I raised the temp and it was gone in days. Just recently my rams got it REALLY bad so I had to use meds and lost one, but the other is doing great now!

It will deff get easier, this is a fun and rewarding hobby :)

Def rehome the Bolivian, great looking Female Ram BTW! They were def prepping that little castle balcony for eggs, hope all is still well, re-homing Bolive will settle the tank back down too, so if your looking/want to breed, that's your best bet!!

Back
Top Bottom