Are my Gourami breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PilotGav

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does this look like my gourami are breeding or fighting? Lol

Sorry, I believe they are fighting :(

Usually all Gouramis (sans Kissing and the Giant Gourami gourami) build a bubble nest prior to breeding and mate in water that is slow moving. The male will build a bubble nest and then entice the female to join him and spawn. It's a rather delicate "dance" and aggression is not that common. In the case of your 2 fish, you'll notice, early on in the video, that the fish being chased is holding his body straight and more of a fending off position than a breeding position. You'll also notice that the aggressor was grabbing a fin to hold onto the other fish which also is not a breeding position. Considering that there are other gouramis present in the tank and possibly female, I would surmise that they are fighting possibly for breeding rights to those females.
Below is a utube video of breeding Pearl Gouramis so you can see what real breeding behavior looks like ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=asHCXD4V8-o

Contestants, back to your corners :lol:

Andy Sager said:
Usually all Gouramis (sans Kissing and the Giant Gourami gourami) build a bubble nest prior to breeding and mate in water that is slow moving. The male will build a bubble nest and then entice the female to join him and spawn. It's a rather delicate "dance" and aggression is not that common. In the case of your 2 fish, you'll notice, early on in the video, that the fish being chased is holding his body straight and more of a fending off position than a breeding position. You'll also notice that the aggressor was grabbing a fin to hold onto the other fish which also is not a breeding position. Considering that there are other gouramis present in the tank and possibly female, I would surmise that they are fighting possibly for breeding rights to those females.
Below is a utube video of breeding Pearl Gouramis so you can see what real breeding behavior looks like ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=asHCXD4V8-o

Contestants, back to your corners :lol:

Learn something new every day! I love this site! They are really interesting to watch either way x

What are those fish in the background with the red noses and black and white tails? They're really cool looking!

Back
Top Bottom