Are my guppies ready for the breeding tank yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen54

Aquarium Advice Regular
I only got these guppies 10 days ago but i'm sure that at least one of them is pregnant (the one with the orange tail). I don't want to stress them out by putting them in a hatchery too soon, but on the other hand, I don't want the babies to get eaten.

2013-07-19 18.21.13.jpg

2013-07-19 18.21.49.jpg

I only got these guppies 10 days ago but i'm sure that at least one of them is pregnant (the one with the orange tail). I don't want to stress them out by putting them in a hatchery too soon, but on the other hand, I don't want the babies to get eaten.

She looks close! Try looking at her from the back. If her gravid spot looks like a square, that means she's ready and should drop within 24 hours.

She looks close! Try looking at her from the back. If her gravid spot looks like a square, that means she's ready and should drop within 24 hours.

Thanks sooooo much. I've gone cross-eyed reading all sorts of ways to tell. Your advice was so simple and compared to the other one I can definatley see that her gravid spot is almost square.

I will put in breeding tank in the morning
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Thanks sooooo much. I've gone cross-eyed reading all sorts of ways to tell. Your advice was so simple and compared to the other one I can definatley see that her gravid spot is almost square.

I will put in breeding tank in the morning
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

You're welcome :)

Hello jen...

The female Guppies are raised with the males, so they're all pregnant by the time they get to the pet store. Since you have females now, you never need to buy males. You'll get plenty in the next batch of fry.

You don't need to move your females from the main tank. It's stressful and unnecessary. Just start feeding all the fish a little more and more often. It's been my experience with "Livebearers", that well fed adults show little or no interest in the fry.

Don't forget some floating plants. Anacharis (Elodea densa) is one of the best. Good for the fry and the females to nibble and for hiding from the rest of the crowd.

As for food, go with frozen. It's more nutritious, because there are no additives. I feed frozen brine and Mysis shrimp, beef heart, plankton and krill. Also, add a little minced garlic to the menu. There's not another veggie available with more vitamins and natural antibiotics. Don't fret, the garlic won't make the water smell.

B

Back
Top Bottom