Are my platy's pregnant or just fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris09

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had these 3 female and 1 male twin bar platies for 4 weeks now.

They seemed to exhibit mating behavior the first few days I got them with the male chasing them all around. After a few days, the male stopped that and chilled out. In the last few days he seems to back at it intermittently although a little different. Now he appears to approach them from underneath and attempts to nip at their anal fin or something. He's not doing damage or anything. The females seem to want to avoid him though. I have a net breeder I'm going to put the male in if he is harassing the females if/when they go into labor (letting fry birth in the well planted tank, might rescue a few but don't want dozens).

Anyway, I can't tell if these female platy's are just fat or if they are pregnant. Anyone got an opinion on this? I think I see a gravid spot, a little difficult to see on them due to their deep orange color. But that might just be evidence of them being female and not pregnant. I don't see "little dots" and can't be sure if the gravid area has gotten darker or not.

If they are pregnant, how much longer do you think they will carry? The females have looked like this for the last 10 days or so.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 125
  • photo7.jpg
    photo7.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 144
  • photo8.jpg
    photo8.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 142
  • photo9.jpg
    photo9.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 106
Where the pics taken directly after a feeding? If not in the third pic the female in the top left hand corner looks to be about a week pregnant so she has about two or three weeks left until she gives birth.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Where the pics taken directly after a feeding?
Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

They did eat about 30 minutes prior. If they are not pregnant would that seem to indicate I might have an infertile male?

don't worry this is normal breeding behavior, you could get a couple more females and a male.

Your Playts

Hello Chris...

Adult female Platys can get quite large. My Red Wag females are 2 and a half inches long and an inch top to bottom. Just keep the tank water very clean with large weekly water changes and make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. I like to add a teaspoon or so of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of new water. The combination of the flush of pure water and a little salt will encourage the females to drop the fry if they're ready.

Add some floating plants like Hornwort and Anacharis to the tank. The jungle like effect is comforting to livebearing fish.

B

I was told they were Mickey Mouse platies. I got them at petco last night. I don't really know anything about them and I'm worried lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

well don't wory about them being pregnate, and i'm very sure thats a mollie. start a new thread asking if its a mollie or platy. to gey more apinions, but im 100% sure its a mollie

Idk how to start a thread haha I thought they looked different I have 4 different fish 3 look like this and 1 is long and skinny

go to the control bar, hover over forum select general discussion under freshwater and brackish. then click new thread. give it a name, i would suggest "is this a Mollie or platy?" or "what kind of fish is this?" then ask your Questions and post some pictures of all your new fish.

That's a balloon mollie by the looks

Back
Top Bottom