Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are my red eye tetras breeding???

I am really confused... I have red eye tetras and recently one of the smaller ones has started to press up against a larger one and won't leave it alone! I've never had anything like this ever happen. Any explanations?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post

I am really confused... I have red eye tetras and recently one of the smaller ones has started to press up against a larger one and won't leave it alone! I've never had anything like this ever happen. Any explanations?
They most likely already breezed and the female one is in early pregnancy that you can't c yet.... I had two goldfish like this and it turned out the female was pregnant.... If this is true that she is pregnant the male will usually follow the female all the time and stay close to each other...

Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks

Thanks for the info. The female is starting to get somewhat round and just couldn't tell if she was pregnant.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The female is starting to get somewhat round and just couldn't tell if she was pregnant.
Anytime! Baby fish are the most cutest little things to care for....
Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Not to be a stickler but your female red eye tetra is not pregnant. The only fish that can be pregnant are the livebearers (Guppies, Platies, Mollies, Swordtails, etc.) Once she is producing eggs, she will be considered "Gravid" not pregnant.

What is probably happening in your tank is that the smaller male is enticing her to get ready to breed by brushing up beside her. This is her que to start producing eggs which is why she is getting rounder. Once she is full of eggs, the courtship will become more serious and spawning will probably occur if the water conditions are right. That's the technical stuff

You should be aware that most tetras are egg scatterers and will spray their eggs along any thick planted area. However, it is not uncommon for them to eat their own eggs as will any other fish in the tank. Fish eggs are a natural food source to fish. If you are interested in saving the most amount of the eggs and fry, they are best bred in a separate tank.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on how to do this

Hope you don't mind the correction

Tags
breed, breeding, eye, red, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com