Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

are my snails breeding? take a look

Are my Assassin snails beeding?
i have 2 assassin snails in my 20Long tank.
and here, they look like they are breeding.
Most of the time the snails would just bury theirselves in the substrates all over the tank and come out sometimes to climb the tank wall.
this is the first time i have seen them do this, they have not moved for a few hours now.
from what i know, assassin snail dont make a lot of egg, rather just one or a few only. Kind of hard to breed them i guess.

anyone with assassin snails help?

i want more!
Athaocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe maybe..... and actually it's not hard to spawn them at all. I started off with 7 and have at least 20 now. When the babies are born, they will crawl beneath the substrate, where they'll live for the first few months. When they do come out on top, you'll be amazed at just how tiny they still are.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i did not expect to breed the snails but if they do then great! i love them!
since they are also in a community tank, (with harlequin rasboras, gourami and amano shrimp) will the baby snails get eaten? they adults are left alone so to say.
i want more!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nah, I don't think anything will bother them if the adults are left alone. The gourami is probably the only one that would bother poking the little guys around once they do come out.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 03-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

I've always wondered.. What happens to assassins when pond snails are gone? O.o
Old 03-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I saw my nails do the same thing then on of them had eggs and i had probaly a few females and about 100 eggs so i need to get rid of thrm
Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

just got back from work, they have not moved from their spot or nothing has happened to them either. now im really hoping to get more assassin snails!
i want more!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My assassin snails have done this twice now but i haven't seen any eggs. Do they lay them below in the substrate? I have ghost shrimp, will they eat the eggs? Is it possible for them to mate and not successfully lay eggs?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never seen eggs sacs from the assassins. Knowing the young grow out beneath the substrate, it's possible that's where the eggs are left, too.

Ghost shrimp are very opportunistic and will eat anything that doesn't move out of their way.

MABJ, they will also eat algae wafers and some flake food. But, a live diet is best. My lfs will give me pest snails for them.

Tags
assassin snail breeding, breed, breeding, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com