Are my tiger barbs prego?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossi94

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406391380.812126.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406391431.721072.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406391456.697266.jpg
So I have an older albino that doesn't do much, but my two new white ones are male female and I notice her belly is getting bigger but I also have 3 normal barbs with stripes and one of the bully's is red and bulging , should I take the two albinos out and out them in the same tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

About 2-3 weeks I've had the tiger barbs

I'm unsure the white one, but the tiger barb in the second and third picture (the second especially) look pregnant for sure... Might just be bloated or fat though XD

I've had a female platy that never got pregnant but was also pregnant looking.

In the end she was just fat. :)

Best of luck, - Raymond

Also, keep an eye on how she eats. She may just be bloated or something. :)

Probably pregnant though.

Thanks! Would moving her and the male to a 10 gallon tank be benificial too try breeding? Also heared to keep them seperated at first or will the male have to fertilize the eggs?

I've never bred them but I believe tigers spawn... So just leave them in the tank until you see some sort of mating dance and the eggs will be everywhere XD I would go online and learn how to make a breeding mop, then you can move the breeding mop into an empty tank and raise the fry there. Other than that idk because I've never raised them.

Best of luck with the barbs! - Raymond

For starters, I refer you to this post to answer your question ;) : http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/is-my-fish-pregnant-a-newbie-must-read-311417.html

The following is what I wrote to a fellow AAer about how I bred Tiger Barbs commercially.:
Okay here's the deal with breeding Tiger Barbs :
First off, the Breeders: the fish need to be of a medium to large size to sex them. The males will get a red nose and the females will get a rounder belly. The fry: The biggest problem with the fry is that you need a constant source of infusoria in order to raise them big enough to take live baby brine.
There are 2 methods people use for spawning (single pair or group spawning.) I prefer to set up single pairs unless you are doing this in a large area or vat for the fry.
For single pair spawning, you want to seperate the males from the females so that they cannot see each other for about 2 weeks. In this time you should be conditioning them for spawning by providing plenty of food and a clean environment.
My spawning tanks have usually been 10 gal. tanks even tho these are smaller fish. You'll put in only the following: I suspend a piece of eggcrate that's big enough to cover about 1/2 of the tank. Cut it to size so that the fish cannot get underneath it. You'll cut a seperate piece to form an L shape to block the entrance from the front. (I usually use some PVC connectors in the corners and the middle of the piece to support the eggcrate.) You want to attach some bunches of live thick, small leafed plants (ie Anacaris, hornwort, cabomba, etc) so that the area above the eggcrate is well planted. You want a heater in the tank set at 78- 80 degrees and an airsrtone only (no filter!) You'll be using all new water so cycling will not be an issue.
That's the set up. (You may also want to put a cover over the tank as Barbs sometimes jump out of the tank when spawning. ) I have also used large marbles on the bottom instead of eggcrate but found that the percenatge of fry went up using eggcrate because the parents couldn't get to the eggs at all whereas with the marbles, I've watched them dig in for the eggs.

After conditioning the breeders, place them both into the spawning tank and try to stay out of site. I usually put my breeders together about 2 hours before the lights went out. In the morning, you should see eggs underneath the eggcrate or amongst the plants. Remove the breeders at this point. (If you don't see eggs but the female is thinner, remove them and you can assume that they spawned in a thicker part of the plant area.)
If you haven't seen signs of spawning within 3 days, try another pair. If you still get no spawning, we'll need to dig deeper into the water parameters you are using.
The live plants will act as both a nursery and an infusoria innoculater. You'll still need to produce some infusoria cultures to feed the fry. When you see the fry are at the free swimming stage, replace the airstone with a sponge filter. This will be your setup until the fry are big enough to move to your grow out tank.

That's the basics for breeding most of the smaller barbs.
For group breeding, you'll need to create a planted "pen" in which you will place the breeders so that the eggs can fall into the tank. The pain with this is that you'll need to figure out how big the pen needs to be only by trial and error. You'll be separating the sexes between each try. This is why I prefer the single pair method.
So those are the basics. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\clip_image001.gif

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom