Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are Peacock Cichlids good parents?

I have a 30 gallon with a male and female blue orchid peacock. This is the second time that the female is holding, but the first time that she actually will succeed in hatching the fry (I stressed her out the first time trying to put her in her own tank and she spit them out). I want her to spit in the tank and there are more than enough hiding spots (Tons of rock) and really fine-leaved plants mixed with really large-leaved plants for the fry...As the title says...would they be good parents?

P.S. I will move the fry once they are big enough. Also the parents are young at only about 3 inches that's why they reside in a 30 gallon.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also I'm running a very strong Marineland Penguin bio-wheel 350 and an Aqueon quietflow 20 on this tank, so how would I go about making sure the fry don't get sucked into the filters?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanm70
Also I'm running a very strong Marineland Penguin bio-wheel 350 and an Aqueon quietflow 20 on this tank, so how would I go about making sure the fry don't get sucked into the filters?
I've read u could put panthose over the intake
Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I also have baby jack Dempsey fry... About a week old. I put the pantyhose over the filter so they don't get sucked in. However the current of the water is still sting enough to push em around. I run mine a couple hours a day then I unplug it. When the fry began swimming freely in the whole tank I probably can't run it at all. I still fear they will get close enough to the filter to get stuck to it even tho they can't get sucked in, they are the size of ants!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candi1990 View Post
I also have baby jack Dempsey fry... About a week old. I put the pantyhose over the filter so they don't get sucked in. However the current of the water is still sting enough to push em around. I run mine a couple hours a day then I unplug it. When the fry began swimming freely in the whole tank I probably can't run it at all. I still fear they will get close enough to the filter to get stuck to it even tho they can't get sucked in, they are the size of ants!
That's what I was thinking would happen...Do you think a triple layer instead of a single layer would help?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

That's what I was thinking would happen...Do you think a triple layer instead of a single layer would help?
I think 2 or 3 layers will slow down your water flow.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I think 2 or 3 layers will slow down your water flow.
I don't think that would be an issue since I have enough filtration to sustain at least an 80 gallon tank. This tank is a 30 gallon.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

I don't think that would be an issue since I have enough filtration to sustain at least an 80 gallon tank. This tank is a 30 gallon.
Please let me know how it goes. My fry got really close to mine earlier... They got pushed around but not sucked up to it. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Please let me know how it goes. My fry got really close to mine earlier... They got pushed around but not sucked up to it. Good luck!
Thanks, will do! Is your tank a community tank or just the JD parents w/fry?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Thanks, will do! Is your tank a community tank or just the JD parents w/fry?
I had more jd, but I took the, out and left the the parents and babies in the tank together. The parents tortured the other two the weren't allowed to come out of the corner. I thought they was going to kill them they were so mean. What's in your tank?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Right now I have the parents, an albino BNP (juvy) and 5 juvy OB Peacocks which I'll probably have to move to a different tank

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, peacock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com