Are these eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was adding a new angelfish to my tank the other night when I noticed something all over the back wall of my fish tank. They look like eggs( and that would be really cool if they were!) but I'm not sure. They are sorta yellowish-green looking and very small. Only thing that it could be from are corys or rasbora hetermorphas as they are the only things that I am pretty sure I have a male and female of.

I asked a couple of friends and they said that corys laid white eggs, and these definitley seem to have a tinge of color to them. So could it be the rasboras? Has anyone ever seen rasbora eggs? Thanks

Rasboras scatter their eggs so they would naturally drift to the bottom. I've never seen cory eggs but I would think would be bottom layers( not positive however). That leaves the angel, if indeed they were eggs. Keep your eyes peeled for any obvious signs of pairing off with the angels. Ya just might have something there :wink:

Well, I only have 1 angel in the tank and just added the other right after I noticed the eggs? Also, is there a way to tell if the eggs actually contain something? I hear that cories just lay eggs to get rid of them? I think that is what they are, but still hoping for something! I have never had something lay eggs and they actually hatch! 8)

Actually, R. heteromorpha doesnt scatter their eggs, they deposit them on the undersides of large plant leaves, so, doesnt sound like they would be from them. As for what they are, a list of what fish are in your tank might help. I'll attach a link to an article on R. heteromorpha breeding just as a referance, it also states there the normal laying patterns of these fish.
http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~elst/html/aquarium/harlekine/harlekine_info.html

Thanks alot Adams. In my tank now I have 2 angels(only 1 when the eggs were noticed), 1 australian rainbow, 1 black tetra, 6 r.hetermorphas, 6 albino corys, 1 black moor goldfish, 1 gold fantail goldfish, 2 pictus catfish, and a common pleco in my 55 gal.

I never thought about the pictus cats?! Could it be them? That would be SWEET! Other than that, that is it. So only thing it could be are the r. hetermorphas, albino corys, or the pictus cats. Or some weird little dots growing on my glass, which I hope it isn't :) Thanks for your info!

Did you have algae problems? If you did it might be coloring over the eggs but that would mean they were there before.....Is it possible that they were the corys' and that they were transparent???? If so - it could be them.... :D

Nope never had an algae problem. All thanks to my hard working pleco! :wink: I'm gonna go ahead a guess that they are cory eggs but maybe not fertilized. They have been there for about 4 days now and I still can't really see a change in them. Also, will my pleco eat the eggs? I took out my black mystery snail (also added him after I noticed the eggs) because I thought that it might eat them?

Also, what do you mean by transparent? They look like they could be transparent, but hard to tell. I can't see anything inside of them.

Back
Top Bottom