Are these eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't no if they are or not but I have just noticed them.
In my tank I have
2x keyhole cichlids
2x flying fox
5x neon
5x harliquin razbora
1x bristle nose
2x sterbia cory's

Sorry for the bad image I could not get a better one :/ thanks :)

Attachments

• image-2980525765.jpg
    image-2980525765.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 126
Tom.fish said:
In my tank I have
2x keyhole cichlids
2x flying fox
5x neon
5x harliquin razbora
1x bristle nose
2x sterbia cory's

Sorry I cant tell by the pic

Tom.fish said:
In my tank I have
2x keyhole cichlids
2x flying fox
5x neon
5x harliquin razbora
1x bristle nose
2x sterbia cory's

Second that need a better quality/close up pic???

Eggs?

In my tank I have
2x keyhole cichlids
2x flying fox
5x neon
5x harliquin razbora
1x bristle nose
2x sterbia cory's

The good news is that I don't need a better pic to say YES they are eggs. However, I would only be guessing as to which fish or snail layed them. Based on your list, my hunch is the keyholes but it could be the Rasboras or the pleco. These are the only fish that lay in this type pattern. The other fish are either egg scatterers or not known to breed in captivity so the pattern rules them out.
Hope they hatch for you (y)

Thanks heeps, I can not get a better photo as I don't have a underwater camera and where my fish tank is its hat to access. The fish shop guy said that the keyholes where male and female but I only have one bristle nose? Thanks heeps

Thanks heeps, I can not get a better photo as I don't have a underwater camera and where my fish tank is its hat to access. The fish shop guy said that the keyholes where male and female but I only have one bristle nose? Thanks heeps

You see, the Rasboras also breed in a manner where they gather the eggs into a smaller area (Usually the underside of a plant leaf) but I had to include them becuase of the nature of the eggmass. Fish can sometimes lay their eggs without a mate which was why I included the single pleco to the list. Now that we know the keyholes were a pair, my money is on them being the perpetrators
of this egg mystery :D

Good luck raising them (y)

Thanks heeps, say they where only a day old eggs how long would they take to hatch? Thanks again and great info :)

Hatching times

Thanks heeps, say they where only a day old eggs how long would they take to hatch? Thanks again and great info :)

Hatching times depend on temperature. At 76 degrees, the eggs should hatch in approx 3-5 days. Warmer temps will have the eggs hatching faster, colder temps- slower. Once hatched, the fry should become free swimming in approx 3 days (again depending on the tank temp.) At that point, you should be feeding them newly hatched baby brine shrimp. Start hatching it out after the second day from hatching.

Good luck (y)

Andy Sager said:
The good news is that I don't need a better pic to say YES they are eggs. However, I would only be guessing as to which fish or snail layed them. Based on your list, my hunch is the keyholes but it could be the Rasboras or the pleco. These are the only fish that lay in this type pattern. The other fish are either egg scatterers or not known to breed in captivity so the pattern rules them out.
Hope they hatch for you (y)

Don't snails usually lay their eggs above the waterline though?

Snail eggs

Don't snails usually lay their eggs above the waterline though?

It depends on the type of snail. Right now I have ramshorn and mystery snails (the mystery is how I got the mystery snails :lol:LOL) that both lay their eggs underwater. In fact, they dry up and die out of water. You'll need to identify your snail and then research where they normally lay their eggs.

Hope this helps...(y)

mystery snails lay there eggs above the water line, also they need a male and female to reproduce so u where a bit lucky, they can also store fertalised eggs for months. im suprised no one thought these could be cory eggs thats what i put my vote on

Cory eggs are fairly large and scattered along tank walls and plants. They are not all clustered together, for the most part, since the female carries them to a place and deposits them.

I can't see any eggs in the photo so I can't really make a guess.

Just to clarify...

mystery snails lay there eggs above the water line, also they need a male and female to reproduce so u where a bit lucky, they can also store fertalised eggs for months. im suprised no one thought these could be cory eggs thats what i put my vote on

When I worked in the Pet Shops, snail identification was poor at best and the term "Mystery Snail" was given to any snail that mysteriously appeared in a tank. (They usually came from the live plants we sold.) So the unknown named snails I have now definitely do not lay eggs above the surface of the water. The egg cases get scattered along the bottom or sides of the tanks or the pvc pipes inside the tanks and are clearly visible. NOT above the water line.
Sorry for the confusion ;) (y)

Back
Top Bottom