Are these male or female guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

padderson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 primary female guppies--1 mostly plain silver (basic feeder fish type), and 2 females that are cobra guppy females. I also have 1 original plain male guppy, also feeder type. The females, naturally, keep having fry and the fry keep surviving--which is going to overload my tanks! So I am trying to separate the males and females now.

The oldest guppy fry so far are about 7 or 8 weeks old now. They have very pretty red and blue tails--not really like any of the parents. I at first thought they were female bc I swear I can see a gravid spot and the top fin is not large or overly pronounced.

Sorry. Something happened while typing. Anyway, the dorsal fin is not too large but the anal fins seem long and narrow instead of fan shaped...more like a male. And so far their body shape is rather thin and torpedo like, but that could still be bc of their young age.

They were very hard to photograph. I think you can see the dark spot I've assumed was a gravid spot. Not so sure you can make out the anal fin shapes. ThanksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395511375.911885.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395511452.727120.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395511464.760493.jpg

Hmm. It sure does look like a Gravid spot, but also has a male fin. Any other pictures you could get, maybe more close up?

I tried to take better photos. Got out the canon. I still can't really tell.
There was actually a third "junior" that I easily decided was male bc he was small, all silver, and streamlined, just like "Dad". I thought these two with the red/blue fins were the same sex...be it M or F. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395524216.744052.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395524231.380452.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395524379.791220.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395524389.597960.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395524399.196846.jpgI'm starting to wonder now if one is boy and the other girl. I guess I'll have to go stare some more!

That's what I thought too. Thanks.

If the fourth picture you can see both the fry I've been trying to analyze. I managed to get them in the same photo! Here I think the left is male (just like you pointed out in the 1st and last photos) and I'm wondering if the one on the right is female. That fish still looks to have the gravid spot. I'll have to study the fins more closely. My mistake this entire time might have been in assuming the two fish were the same sex.

Back
Top Bottom