Are these Mystery Snail eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericbrookey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can somebody confirm if these are snail eggs or not? They are on the side of the tank about 3-4 inches above the substrate fully underwater? Not a typical "clutch" and fully submerged.

If not, what could they be?

uploadfromtaptalk1440987259754.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Can somebody confirm if these are snail eggs or not? They are on the side of the tank about 3-4 inches above the substrate fully underwater? Not a typical "clutch" and fully submerged.

If not, what could they be?

View attachment 277212

I'm thinking now they are Cory eggs. Will need to do some more research. If anybody can confirm for sure I'd be grateful.

Not Mystery snail eggs.

What are your fish / stock would be a helpful clue, lol???
Sorry that should have been top of the list lol

2x Cory Plateaus
1x Cory Loxozonus
3 Neon Tetras
5 Dalmatian Mollies
1 Mystery Snail

Pretty sure it's the Plateaus at this point. Going to try scraping them into a breeder net and dose a little anti fungal and see how it goes. There are probably 50-60 eggs in the tank. I have a 5g I can move the frys to if I get any, but it's not cycled.

Any advice is appreciated!

The fry hatch in 48 to 72 hours depending on water temp. They will be very small. They are still attached to the egg sack the first day or two so they don't eat yet. Microworms make a great first food, otherwise liquid livebearer food that comes in the eye drops sized bottle or crushed flake. The fry kinda look like tiny tiny tadpoles at first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They may fall through a breeder net. I keep mine in either a small refugium or a specimen container aka dip and pour.

They may fall through a breeder net. I keep mine in either a small refugium or a specimen container aka dip and pour.

Good to know thanks Brennae. I've read both methods but can't decide which way to go. I've heard their fry grow pretty quick so was hoping a fine mesh breeder net would be enough.

All you can do is try and work with what you have. Keep us posted!

All you can do is try and work with what you have. Keep us posted!

I was able to save about 30 of them and have them in a small container with about an inch or so of water floating on the surface. Noticed one of the parents making a little snack of them this morning as i went to remove them so not as many as i'd hoped. No time to get to the store for anti fungal so I'm hoping for the best. Some of them seem to be turning a bit brownish so hopefully they got fertilized! If I get frys I will start a new thread and see how they do.

Thanks for the help!

One thing, I'd add more water as they grow because it will get dirty quickly. Turkey basters from the grocery store work great in these situations

One thing, I'd add more water as they grow because it will get dirty quickly. Turkey basters from the grocery store work great in these situations

Good advice. I just used the smallest container I had on hand to get them safe until I can float one a bit bigger.

Not great timing as I had planned to switch out for a cannister filter this week and add my first co2 regulator but I think with them in the container I should still be ok to do that. Going to start prepping my 5g with existing tank water just in case. Am I ok to use fine sand for the frys? I've read mixed opinions on that.

I use bare bottom tanks for fry. I'm not sure the answer really. I just know it's more convenient for me when they are fry. In my breeding tank they have pool filter sand and they do well.

I use bare bottom tanks for fry. I'm not sure the answer really. I just know it's more convenient for me when they are fry. In my breeding tank they have pool filter sand and they do well.

What I read about using bare bottom is that you will get a thin layer of bacteria on the glass which may not be ideal for the frys. But I'm not sure you will get that without alot of extra biomass so I dunno. If it works for you guess it's ok.

Can you recommend a good/inexpensive sponge filter for the fry tank or should I just use a bag over the outake like for shrimp?

I just use whatever sponge filter is cheapest. If it's a 5g tank you just need a small one and not too strong of an air pump. I think a bag over the out take may still suck fry up to the bag and maybe they won't be able to get loose.

I just use whatever sponge filter is cheapest. If it's a 5g tank you just need a small one and not too strong of an air pump. I think a bag over the out take may still suck fry up to the bag and maybe they won't be able to get loose.

Good advice again! Here is hoping I get a chance to use the 5g. :)

No problem. Let me know what happens. :)

Sadly none of the eggs have hatched. Maybe they will have another go round and be fertilized next time.

If you want to stimulate them feed live or frozen foods for a week or so to condition them then do a water change with slightly cooler water to imitate rain. Works every time for me.

If you want to stimulate them feed live or frozen foods for a week or so to condition them then do a water change with slightly cooler water to imitate rain. Works every time for me.

I will try that. Just swapped over to a cannister filter so I'm going to let it run concurrently with my old filter for a week before I remove it. Then will do a small water change a week later. Frozen blood worms is their treat.

Back
Top Bottom