Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Are they fighting or mating?

I have a tiger barb and an albino barb and I can't figure out if they are fighting/playing/mating. They are kissing each other and swimming in circles together almost as if they were attached nose to tail nose to tail. I caught it on camera but I can't figure out how to upload it. The tiger has been chasing the albino since day one but the albino isn't missing a lot of fins. Some fin nipping but nothing extreme for being together for over a month. 1st time aquarium owner. 30 gallon fresh water with rocks plants and driftwood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-739862264.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	40002  

Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #2

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

They are fighting, breeding tiger barbs is a process and rarely happens without following certain steps. Tigers are nippy little creatures and reduce the aggression seven or more must be stocked, this will also reduce aggression towards other fish since they'll be preoccupied with their small school. I'm not sure what other fish you have, so be careful and don't just throw five more of you don't have the space.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

fighting I'd seperate them if possible
Old 06-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
They are fighting, breeding tiger barbs is a process and rarely happens without following certain steps. Tigers are nippy little creatures and reduce the aggression seven or more must be stocked, this will also reduce aggression towards other fish since they'll be preoccupied with their small school. I'm not sure what other fish you have, so be careful and don't just throw five more of you don't have the space.
+1

I have the exact situation, a Male Tiger (older) and Albino Tiger (younger)butting noses and going around in circles. Happens once or twice a week, same two. In my case, looks like the albino is trying to assert its dominance, but the largest TigerBard will have none of it. Round 5 was yesterday morning, maybe round 6 will be tomorrow

Tags
fight, fighting, mating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com