Babies!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollin_22

Aquarium Advice Activist
so lastnight i was feeding my bw tank, of which is four mollies and two columbian sharks.... i was just getting ready to walk away when i saw a very tiny little fish swimming around by one of my rocks... so i neeted him and out it into my net breeder, then i found another one..... so i put that in ther as well... i have noticed that two of my females are very plump, and was wondereing if they would havew babies.... these two fish are smaller than a cm, and are darker colored... what should i do now? they are eating and everything, so do i just wait?

just crush up some flake food as small as possible and feed the babies. if there are 2 there are more. just keep checkin constantly in all different places they could hide and catch as many as you can. if u see her getting a little more square on the bottom isolate her into her own tank if u have a spare or put her in a breeding box. the only problem with the breeding box is that they will hold out sometimes because it stresses them. its best just to try and catch them once they are realesed. the mollies and sharks will eat the babies if they can catch them so u gotta be faster lol

My molly had fry last night. I seperated the 7 I could find and put them into a seperate tank. The molly is still hugging the bottom but I dont have another tank to seperate her into. I am going to buy a breeding net today. How long will she normally continue to give birth?

Congratulations on all the fry. Keep feeding finely crushed flakes. Most mollies give birth within a few hours I believe. I may be mistaken, but my mollies have always given birth within a few hours.

Mollies will breed around every 6 weeks. They need a bit of salt in their water, about 1 tsp/gallon. I had a pair of sailfins that dropped 30 babies like clockwork. I finally took them back to the lfs, got tired of unloading the growing young ones that didn't get eaten by the other fish.

Mollies can live in a brackish tanks or every littlie salt. Mollies are even in the backish water spices. But don't have to add salt for them to be health. I have 6 black long fin mollies in a 75g planted tank and have been there for going on 7 months now. I would never add salt to the tank do to the plants.
The mollie females drop a fry every 5 weeks just like clock work. I have one female that drops any where from 50 to 75 fry at a time. The LFS gives go in store cradit for them. LOL

I have already spoken to my local aquarium, it is run by a mate. He has already agreed that he will take any fry that I have and will either give me store credit or pay for them outright. I have 2 silver and 1 golden female. The 2 silvers are very pregnant and the golden is trying to keep some space between her and the black male.

Weasel F. said:
Mollies can live in a brackish tanks or every littlie salt.

Mollies are actually meant to be in a brackish water.. they can live in freshwater, but are most happy, and healthy in a brackish setup...

Back
Top Bottom