Babies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my platys was looking large, so I put her in fry tank (up until then, my betta's home) I set it up with a ton of java moss (a five gallon, but I'm planning on replacing it with a ten gallon soon)

In the middle of the night, I got up to check on her, and saw a teeny tiny baby- so tiny, it was hard to believe it was a fish- floating next to her- it must have been a few seconds old. It didn't even know how to swim yet. As I watched, it slowly sank to the bottom. I moved her out in the morning. That was Sunday.

So far five fry have come out of hiding. These are my first babies (not counting the ones I was given as fry) and I am so thrilled!

The only thing is, I moved the female out too soon, I think- she still looks pregnant. To make matters worse, when I moved her I dropped her on the floor!! I feel terrible. Needless to say, I don't want to move her back again, or into a breeding trap. I think I should just leave her alone. She seems fine though- still pregnant but swimming and eating normally after hiding for a while. She's a trooper! I have a floating breeding trap in the water for catching any fry she may have (though the likelihood of me finding them before my barbs and tetras do is slim)

In the future, is it safe to leave the mother with the fry for a little while, until I'm sure she gave birth to all of them? How long can I leave them together?

Thanks! Being a fish mommy is so fun! I'm so glad it finally worked out after so many tries!

it is ok to leave the mom with the babies but keep a close eye on them and make sure they get some flake food
the mom should lay all her fry within 24hours

I have found that my guppies, it can take as long as 2 days, but normally around 12-24 hours to have all the fry

all 3 of my platys had there's overnight about 18 babies each

I had a guppy that took three days to have all her fry. She was the only female in there so i am sure they were all hers. She had like 30+ of them. She was an older one, I'd had her around 2 years and she was about 2 1/2" long. We called her Big Mamma :)
Sadly a couple of monthes ago (her babies were alittle over 2 monthes old) everyone in the tank died due to a fast case of some kinda ick. I wish I had taken pictures while she was fat!

Back
Top Bottom