Baby bristle nose pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tali931

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was doing my daily maintenance in my guppy tank which has two small plecos and discovered two new fry from the plecos. The tank is heavily planted and I didn't even think I had a boy pleco but I guess I do. Is there anything I need to know bout the pleco fry as I've never had those before. Right now I have then in a small tupper wear container floating at the top of the tank. I do have an extra 2.5 I can set up with filter media water and gravel from one of my other healthy tanks? Any advice would be great.. Thanks guys:)

What other fish are in the tank? Anything large enough will eat new pleco fry, but they're likely better off in the tank than in the tupperware container in any case.

The only other thing in this tank is guppies, plecos, ghost shrimp and rcs. They are in the guppy breeding net with some plants right now.. They seem to be doing well I think

I feed all my fish NLS pellets as a staple diet, for small fish and shrimp like those the .5mm Grow pellets would work well. They'd be better off in the tank with more opportunities to graze on biofilm and algae between feedings., Guppies and shrimp won't bother them unless some of the "ghost" shrimp happen to be a predatory sort, Those will eat rcs in any case. Chances are very great there are a lot more pleco fry in there that you haven't seen yet unless the egg clump got kicked out of the breeding site and eaten by shrimp.

Should I considering rehoming the ghost shrimp first? The are about an inch long now.. I also thing they might be eating my rcs eggs.. I have a tank with glass fish or a tank with neons, dwarf frogs, betta and bamboo shrimp. Do u think the ghost shrimp would be ok in one of those tanks? The odd thing is my plecos are only about an inch long.. Didnt think they were big enough to breed yet.

I have another question, the guppy and pleco tank is infested with pesky snails.. Could they eat pleco eggs?

Also maybe want to add a prefilter or something to cover your intake for your shrimp, shrimp babies and other fish babies too just in case you haven't. And to remember to do it in the new tank too.
Congrats!

Thanks, went to the pet store today and picked up a little sponge cover for my intake.. I've never seen any baby shrimp so I figured they are getting eaten by the guppies but getting sucked into the filter makes makes sense. Thanks again.. The baby plecos are still in the breeding net with plants and gravel. They really seem to enjoy sweet potato .. Pretty fun to watch :)

Here's another pic of them munching on sweet potatoe in my guppy breeding box. I'm going to keep them in here till they get a bit bigger as they are pretty much the size of my baby guppies. It's actually kinda funny my adult guppies are higher than my parent plecos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 118
Aw they are so cute! Do you know if I breed an albino bn and a regular one together will they be mixed 50/50 ?

I'm not sure, one of my babies seems calico so I think my parents might be brown and albino. I'm kinda curious to see what they grow up like since my albino looking ones have baby blue eyes.

Aw they are so cute! Do you know if I breed an albino bn and a regular one together will they be mixed 50/50 ?

Just depends on what genes they're carrying. I had browns that produced about 25% albino fry. Some of those brown fry grew out and started spawning, and I was getting a mix of brown, albino, calico, and even a few super red fry from them. I now have a domestic line of super reds as well as line bred super reds from German stock I got several years ago.

Oh that's cool. So it will pretty much just be a mix depending on the colours and genes. Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom