Baby Bristlenose!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If there are any left in the original cave, it would be better to leave the father in the tank he's in. Daddy might feel good about going to the breeder tank, but there's nothing there he needs to protect them from.

That is true. I would go ahead and leave him in the big tank, transfer the new fry to the holding tank, and do you have substrate in it? If you have substrate i would make it natural with caves, it is more like a QT then you could do either.

Ok - so I guess I'll leave him in the big tank... because I can't see the original cave (it's a hollow piece of cholla cactus wood that has plants attached to it/growing out of it - I can't even see the wood anymore). I just feel bad for him. I mean, he had to come up out of the water and basically climb into that thing. I didn't know they would do that. I thought once the babies left the father left them alone. But I guess I see your point - and I know fish don't have emotions. lol. I just invision the poor guy roaming the tank at night looking for his lost babies!

So... there was another set of babies. I found them 2 nights ago. i have them in the floating breeder right now. So far, I've counted 15 of them. The two adults have been busy :) Anyway, again the father climbed into the breeder! I got a picture of him in there this time. I decided to leave him in there for a little while - he wasn't hurting anything - and when I came back 5 minutes later, he was gone again. You can see the whole floating breeder in the picture - so you can see how crazy it is he got in there. You can see some of the babies in the bottom too - but you really have to know what your'e looking for i think. They're tiny. The water looks dirty - but that's just because of my bad camera. The floater has the filter outtake behind it (it's a spray bar so it's everywhere) and the bubbles look like floating particles...

BushynosePleco

BushynosePleco

BushynosePleco

If those pictures don't work here are the links to them...

http://picasaweb.google.com/TaiyedDreamland/BushynosePleco#5472787097329419266

You can use the arrows above the picture to scan through the three pictures I got.

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I'll keep sharing anyway. :) It looks like the dad comes and goes several times a day.... I'll go in and he'll be gone then come back later and he's back... I had some trouble with the 10 gallon, so I'm scared to put the babies in it now. I bought some live plants and some cycle. I put a bunch of snails in because I had sand, and i think that caused some problems. So, untill that tank gets stable, they'll be stuck in the floater with dad visiting regularly...

that is so sweet :) i have 3 babys atm. got them off a friend who had an explosion. he has about a hundred at the moment since another batch just arrived! mine are about a month old and about an inch long. nobodys tried eating them yet but they hide really well. saying that im supposed to have 3 shrimp in there that ive never seen again. i did try putting them in the breeding trap with my molly fry but its a net one and they really hated it. so since theyre bigger than everybodys mouth and no one is aggressive and theres lots of hiding places i let them into the MT.

That is so cool! I want to get a pair of plecos just to see them breed lol. Ahh, the things I want to do with my tank when I get back!

It has definitely been an interesting experience with the two of them. I'd had fry from other fish before, but these have been by far the coolest. I saw the dad out foraging in the tank last night, and today he's back in with the babies... it can't be by accident. He's the only fish that seems interested at all in the floating trap.

aw :) congrats on your new additions! those pics are cute . It must be really cool to see your fish happy and breeding like that, I think I would share it on here too. *following*

Back
Top Bottom