Baby Convict Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadyBrig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, just wanted some advice. In a 29 gallon I have baby cichlids that are at the free swimming stage. Parents are being very protective. There are 4 other adults. My cousin is giving me a 16 gallon. Which should I move? The adults or the parents and babies? I realize that the 16 gallon is too small but its all I have. I got the fish from my work where they had 12 convicts in a 10 gallon. I'm doing the best I can with what I have so please no criticism. Just advise me on which to move... adults or babies? Not sure if its dangerous to move babies at this stage.

Sent from my XT925 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394146082537.jpg
    1394146082537.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 80
Dealer's choice at this point. It will be easier to move the extra adult fish but that 16 gal probably IS too small for them all to stay in there for a long time. I would do that however and when the fry are a little bigger move them into the 16 and replace the others back into the other tanks. Have you considered what you are going to do for housing once the convicts spawn again? That will happen soon now that these fry are free swimming.

Hope this helps

Thanks Andy. I am hoping to rehome the babies once they're old enough. Just not enough room for so many. Would separating the males and females be a good option?

Thanks Andy. I am hoping to rehome the babies once they're old enough. Just not enough room for so many. Would separating the males and females be a good option?

Not only will separation be a good option, it guarantees no more babies. :brows: If you don't have the space, you really should consider single gender tanks (y)

Lol! Thanks Andy. Like I said, I took these fish in from work. They had 12 adults in a 10 gallon! I have other tanks but they're occupied. They are amazing parents and interesting to watch but until I can get a better setup for them, its not fair to them. I was just concerned about the males fighting in a male only tank. Glad to know that's not the case ;)

Lol! Thanks Andy. Like I said, I took these fish in from work. They had 12 adults in a 10 gallon! I have other tanks but they're occupied. They are amazing parents and interesting to watch but until I can get a better setup for them, its not fair to them. I was just concerned about the males fighting in a male only tank. Glad to know that's not the case ;)

The thing with cichlids and male only tanks is that they will do some sparring for territory which is why you will need to supply as many "homes" within the tank as there are fish. ( I always add 1 extra "just in case".) PVC pipe or connections as well as clay pots work great for this. As for real fighting, that happens when in the presence of a female. Then the males get into breeding mode and fight hard for the right to spawn. That's why you should also put some kind of visual divider between the genders if they are in tanks next to each other. All my Angelfish pairs have black paper between their tanks so even tho they are next to each other, they can't see each other. I get a lot of eggs this way :D

The females are actually more of a gamble. :facepalm: You see, it's not too unusual for 2 females to spawn together when no males are present. Again, they pair off like male and female so make sure you have plenty of extra hiding places for the other females. It still guarantees no babies as these eggs will not have been fertilized, but still......... can be an issue.

Good luck with your fish (y)

Back
Top Bottom