Baby explosion! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreD

Aquarium Advice Freak
While feeding my mom's BPs I noticed the small one was swimming around the new log thing we got it and she wouldn't eat. To my surprise I saw all these little bubble things. She laid probably 100 eggs! It happened a few hours ago :) so now I know the sex of the cichlids-assuming that the two have paired up. Unfortunately I know those eggs will never hatch :( however my dalmation Molly just gave birth to twenty or so. I returned her to the tank.

Is it normal for their bellies to still be big? My black Molly gave birth a few days ago and she looks ready to pop again! I know they can stay pregnant after birth but she is already really fat again.

After examine the new dalmation fry I noticed A LOT of them weren't even mature. One is still an egg o_O i had a feeling it be a bad pregnancy cause her stomach was awfully square, and I don't mean the good kind. I mean a completely flat belly but still very fat.

There is a problem though. The dalmation who was at dal. Mollie who was attacking the blk. Mollie is now being chased around by her. The black Mollie has been getting aggressive but only towards other mollies. She wants her space, and I think she thinks she owns the tank. I don't understand why she gets along with the swordtail (who is under suspicion of being a hybrid platy/swordtail) perfectly fine and she never bothers the shark.

Can anyone explain this? Is she just having mood swings cause she's still pregnant?

Update: the blk Mollie is now biting ALL the fish in the tank. They all hide from her.

And all the dal. fry died :(

DreD said:
Update: the blk Mollie is now biting ALL the fish in the tank. They all hide from her.

And all the dal. fry died :(

My black Mollie started doing that after she had her babies. She was at her worst when there was food around. We ended up giving her and her fry to our lfs.

Before a fish drops her fry her stomach will square of, thats perfectly normal.

Sorry to hear that, that is sometimes what I find so frustrating at times....the fish normally give birth either when you still asleep or away at work/school. My guppy gave early one Saturday morning and just by chance my wife was awake round 7am and said that there were babies swimming around ( and for their dear life I must add!)

When my swordtail gave birth, I only managed to save 1....a guppy and momma ate the others while i was still trying to catch the rest!

Better luck with your next batch and try also getting a breeding trap/aquahome.

GuppyLover said:
Before a fish drops her fry her stomach will square of, thats perfectly normal.

I know this, but her belly looked abnormally square. I've had many pregnant mollies in my life and by far her stomach looked like a whole new kinda square compared to the others. I'm guessing she had the babies too early due to stress.

The cichlids eggs are beginning to turn white (fungus?) they really protect those eggs-too bad they'll never hatch.

Oh well :) I'm happy with my four blk Mollie fry

BPs can't have babies together. The females have mate with other cichlids of it's species, otherwise male BPs cannot fertilize the eggs

I know this, but her belly looked abnormally square. I've had many pregnant mollies in my life and by far her stomach looked like a whole new kinda square compared to the others. I'm guessing she had the babies too early due to stress.

The cichlids eggs are beginning to turn white (fungus?) they really protect those eggs-too bad they'll never hatch.

Oh well :) I'm happy with my four blk Mollie fry
Thats odd, I have a un-breedable female guppy and shes always squared off but thats normal for her.

BPs can't have babies together. The females have mate with other cichlids of it's species, otherwise male BPs cannot fertilize the eggs

This is not entirely true, a lot of males are infertile but visiting a store near me, I have seen on a couple occasions both eggs and fry in a tank of only Parrots.

Gillie said:
This is not entirely true, a lot of males are infertile but visiting a store near me, I have seen on a couple occasions both eggs and fry in a tank of only Parrots.

You're right! I found out that there are some males that aren't infertile. In fact I just read that less and less are infertile as time progresses. But I doubt my male is fertile due to the eggs not hatching

Back
Top Bottom