Baby Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover1239

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a beginner in breeding fish and i have a 10 gallon tank. One of my swordtails gave birth about 3 weeks ago(they are about 1 centimeter long) and I am wondering how big they have to be to be to go back to the main tank(currently in a breeding box)
Please answer soon, Thanks

It' not an exact science, if they are small enough to fit in the mouth of a larger fish then they could be food. Personally I leave all my fry in the main tank and they are usually okay if there are plenty plants etc for them to hide in.

Good Luck!

hey just wait till they r about 2-3 weeks old by then they will either be big enough or faster then their parents, by then u might get more babies and u can put them n the breeding box, this is wat i do with my mollies only i set up a "baby tank" instead of the breeders net

Also, what I do with my livebearers is make a half sand tank, on the other half well the whole thing has 1" of sand but half is covered and stacked with polished black chunk rock that is stacked in a pile as in loosely not strategically placed. This gives the fry a place to dive and hide to after they take their first breath of air. before the female drops I overfeed to insure the fry get enough time to get into hiding. Ill put it this way, I havnt lost a fish since I started this.

When she does drop I use the 3 in 1 breeder box however I drilled holes in the bottom so the female is contained and the fry fall out and completely away from mama. I usually have 3-400 new guppies a month.

Back
Top Bottom