Baby molly giving birth now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 5 1/2 mth old Molly I've raised from the second she was born is having babies right NOW! :-D Born Sept 9, 2011
She's had a couple other births but missed completely! She appears to have just started! Noticed she was saying "no no" with her shimmy and then flashing and flexing her tail up and down.... Then saw a fry zoom by... ! It's stressful on a girl, don't ya know? ;-)
Here she is ... Angel with Cruella in the one pic... Angel's 1 1/2"
Cruella must be coaching her after her many births!
These are presumed Cesar's babies...

View attachment 76672

View attachment 76671

View attachment 76673

View attachment 76674

Fishie said:
Cool! Congrats on more fry!

Thank you!
Wouldn't you know I cleaned my fry tank about 6 hrs ago and moved all tiny platy babies from both batches into the 10g tank...? Hahaha I was looking around living room happy with no containers of fry and I laughed to myself thinking--- I'm not expecting anyone to give birth, but someone will tonight because I finally feel under control.. LOL!
Same thing happened when I sold 25 Juvie's to LFS... That night Cruella had 44...!

ocminpin said:
Thank you!
Wouldn't you know I cleaned my fry tank about 6 hrs ago and moved all tiny platy babies from both batches into the 10g tank...? Hahaha I was looking around living room happy with no containers of fry and I laughed to myself thinking--- I'm not expecting anyone to give birth, but someone will tonight because I finally feel under control.. LOL!
Same thing happened when I sold 25 Juvie's to LFS... That night Cruella had 44...!

Wow I didn't know you have this much fry and you sell them and stuff!! That's cool so your a Platy and Molly parent!

congrats! i got lucky enough to watch my little girl's first batch. :) it's exciting! i stayed up till midnight to watch the whole thing. good luck raising the fry!

blackmolly said:
congrats! i got lucky enough to watch my little girl's first batch. :) it's exciting! i stayed up till midnight to watch the whole thing. good luck raising the fry!

They can join the others :) thank you!

She only had the one that I was able to save (unless I find another tomorrow). She's thinned out after I've only found this one...

Pleased to introduce VALENTINE :)
Will be staying with us as a permanent resident...
VERY active, up and swimming!

5 hrs old
Here he or she is in its own 1 gal:

View attachment 76699

View attachment 76698

Aww very cute, congratulations Grandma. My fish all like to give birth at night when the house is asleep. I guess they get more privacy that way!

ocminpin said:
My 5 1/2 mth old Molly I've raised from the second she was born is having babies right NOW! :-D Born Sept 9, 2011
She's had a couple other births but missed completely! She appears to have just started! Noticed she was saying "no no" with her shimmy and then flashing and flexing her tail up and down.... Then saw a fry zoom by... ! It's stressful on a girl, don't ya know? ;-)
Here she is ... Angel with Cruella in the one pic... Angel's 1 1/2"
Cruella must be coaching her after her many births!
These are presumed Cesar's babies...

And how long has Caesar been dead? R u sure u don't have another male in the tank?

boadams87 said:
And how long has Caesar been dead? R u sure u don't have another male in the tank?

He's only been gone a month..
Definitely no males in the tank.. Only fish in there are 5 pregnant (4 now) females, female betta & an Oto...

ocminpin said:
He's only been gone a month..
Definitely no males in the tank.. Only fish in there are 5 pregnant (4 now) females, female betta & an Oto...

DANG! No wonder he's dead!!!!

boadams87 said:
DANG! No wonder he's dead!!!!
Despite that not being a very nice thing to say, I know you're joking..
Well he was in QT for 2 mths fighting Camallanus and managed to beat that... Then got in a fight with Cruella over his persistent mating with her... Shredded top fin... He settled down and fin was growing back but it was all too much for him... He was gone within 7-10 days.

ocminpin said:
Despite that not being a very nice thing to say, I know you're joking..
Well he was in QT for 2 mths fighting Camallanus and managed to beat that... Then got in a fight with Cruella over his persistent mating with her... Shredded top fin... He settled down and fin was growing back but it was all too much for him... He was gone within 7-10 days.

I was, im sorry.

boadams87 said:
I was, im sorry.

No worries... Just feel bad for the little guy.. He was on deaths door so many times and kept making a comeback...
Spent a bit if money on him trying to make him better... All the reading and research and time staring at him... Must be a Camallanus expert by now! :)

ocminpin said:
No worries... Just feel bad for the little guy.. He was on deaths door so many times and kept making a comeback...
Spent a bit if money on him trying to make him better... All the reading and research and time staring at him... Must be a Camallanus expert by now! :)

That'll benefit us if we ever come across it.

How do you know when a Molly is getting close to having babies?? I have a black Molly (Ebony) and I'm telling you she is massive in the belly!!! I mean like triple from when I got her around the first of January. I would love to watch her if I had an idea of what to watch for.

Back
Top Bottom