Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Baby Platys - Now What?

My platys are reproducing rapidly. They have had 2 sets of kids and I now have 20-30 babys. Anyone what some? Also, other than getting rid of one of the fish (and I don't want to do that as they are my originals), any suggestions on keeping down my population of babies? They are a cross between a red wag and a yellow platy.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Well, your pretty close to me, I would take them. Haha.

Seriously though, your best bet would be to seperate them by gender. The gonopodium should form I think in a couple of weeks. Wait until they grow up a bit and some LFS's might take them, or buy them from you.

OR...you could feed them. I know alot of people keep livebearers to feed to other fish. If that's a way you wish to go. I don't think I'd have the heart to...

Good Luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

another thing that you could do is add a female betta to your tank, they are great for keeping livebearer populations down.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any larger "community" fish will help to keep the fry population down...gouramis, tetras, bettas, etc. Or you could post them in the "Barter/Trade" section of the forum.
1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Gyration Send a message via AIM to Gyration Send a message via MSN to Gyration Send a message via Yahoo to Gyration
I would love to have some. But I am kind of far from you. Any ideas?

68 Gallon Freshwater Planted Community tank at home -> New for now. Has Rena FilStar xP3 Canister Filter, a 400 Emperor power filter and a H.O.T Magnum power filter. DIY CO2 system
Gyration is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby, platy, platys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com