Baby Platys - Now What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billyq

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My platys are reproducing rapidly. They have had 2 sets of kids and I now have 20-30 babys. Anyone what some? Also, other than getting rid of one of the fish (and I don't want to do that as they are my originals), any suggestions on keeping down my population of babies? They are a cross between a red wag and a yellow platy.

Well, your pretty close to me, I would take them. Haha.

Seriously though, your best bet would be to seperate them by gender. The gonopodium should form I think in a couple of weeks. Wait until they grow up a bit and some LFS's might take them, or buy them from you.

OR...you could feed them. I know alot of people keep livebearers to feed to other fish. If that's a way you wish to go. I don't think I'd have the heart to...

Good Luck.

another thing that you could do is add a female betta to your tank, they are great for keeping livebearer populations down.

Any larger "community" fish will help to keep the fry population down...gouramis, tetras, bettas, etc. Or you could post them in the "Barter/Trade" section of the forum.

Back
Top Bottom