Baby Ramshorns??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I looked into my 75 gal this morning and found several small beige things crawling around on plants and a couple on the glass. Ran to get camera...batteries dead!

I believe they are baby ramshorns. If they are, I never saw the eggs and to make matters worse...I gravel vac'd and rearranged some of the plants yesterday.

I will try to get a pic as soon as I can. :D

Well...batteries are charged...camera is ready...snails became camera shy. So far, I've counted 6 (most lolling around in the substrate). I probably will never know just how many spawned but it's really exciting...this is the first time anything has spawned in my tanks.

What's amazing is I only had the snails for about a month. Could eggs have been laid while they were in the tank or possibly eggs were attached to the plants?

i put 2 ramshorn snails in my naturally planted tank for 2 days and in that time they managed to eat the leaves of half my plants and have babies. 2 DAYS 8O

Are you sure they were Ramshorns Felf? Never heard of re-production that quickly, let alone plant eating. AFAIK, ramshorns pretty much leave plants alone.

I bought one ramshorn and put it in my 55gal. Same thing--about a month later, I had seven baby ramshorn snails. I have no idea how they got there. This tank is in the waiting room of my office, so I only have plastic plants in there. I guess I bought the pre-fertilized ramshorn model.

Jchillin wrote:
Are you sure they were Ramshorns Felf? Never heard of re-production that quickly, let alone plant eating. AFAIK, ramshorns pretty much leave plants alone.

well i thought the ones i have were ramshorn because the shells are shaped like that but they're probably pond snails since i got them from my lfs for free. sorry just got excited i guess :oops:

I have maybe 10 ramhorn baby hitchhikers from plant purchases in my 58... They are very tiny when hitchhiking.....

Congrats I don't think mine damage plants either but I personallly think they are kinda ugly as adults... not sure how long I will keep them...

Mooooose

well i have some mts in my tank and i found alot of babies in my 29. lil tiny almost see through snails :). that must be why their so cheap online :/

Back
Top Bottom