baby's and the filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will make this fast.

What can I use and ware can I get it? Something to cover the input tube to my filters so baby fry don't get sucked up.

I have 2 pairs or Leica that both picked caves near my Rena xp4's suction tube. I know they are paired because one female alyays gods in the flower pot and just sits inside peaking out to me. Staring me down and the other is always in and out if there pot or near it.

hi yes a sponge over the inlet tube will prevent fry getting sucked in(y)
Just get a sponge and cut a hole to fit the intake strainer and then slide it over the inlet strainer.

When you guys speak of a sponge. 2 things go through my mind. 1: kitchen sponges, 2: them sponge filters that requires a air pump. Sorry. Ware we live all we have is petsmart. And they don't even have sponge filters.

There is always the possibility that kitchen sponges contain chemicals to inhibit the growth of bacteria. That's not something you want in an aquarium. Best to steer away from them. Does your petsmart carry canister filter sponge refills? That would be one of the safer options. For a cheaper one, I use cut up car wash sponges in some of my tanks. If you can't locate suitable sponge then part of a lady's nylon sticking will work just as well.

When you guys speak of a sponge. 2 things go through my mind. 1: kitchen sponges, 2: them sponge filters that requires a air pump. Sorry. Ware we live all we have is petsmart. And they don't even have sponge filters.

you can get them on ebay if you want to use the sponge filter that is air pump driven and not use the HOB filter.

Nylon stocking are perfect.....and super cheap! That's what I use. You can get them anywhere, even the supermarket.

Petsmart should sell fluval edge sponge prefilters that are designer for exactly this purpose. Google fluval edge pre filter sponge to see exactly what to look for. You could remove the strainer from the intake entirely if it is too long and wouldn't be covered by the pre filter. I make sure to rinse the hell out of any new sponge before I start using them. A lot of people just use the small aqua clear 20 replacement sponges and cut a slit in them and put them over the intake. The only downside to sponge pre filters is that they get clogged easily and need to be wrung out in tank water (in a bucket) every time you do a water change. They do add a bit of biological filtration though.

Back
Top Bottom