badis badis eggs and wigglers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timber Wolf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night as I was rearranging my pleco tubes. I was pulling one out of the water to glue more moss on it and noticed a badis badis come out. It was followed by some eggs and a few wigglers. I grabbed my little plastic aquarium and was able to save about 20 eggs and 5 wigglers. I engineered a make shift egg tumbler by adding an airline to the water and attached it to the side of my tank using my cleaning magnets. I added some BBS for food. I still had wigglers this morning. So here's the question. What's next? I plan on transferring the eggs and fry to a 5g tank.

I think they're pretty easy as long as there's lots of micro bugs and nibblets about.. moss should hold all that.. I've heard stories of negleted badis tanks teaming with spawns..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I figured that this process would be pretty straight forward. I have plenty of moss and plants that are going in the tank when I set it up. I also have BBS and micro golden pearls on hand for food. I'll use a mattenfilter for filtration.

I was so not expecting this. I have over 20 breeder tanks, but this was in my community tank.

They know how to nestle apparently;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So far 3 of the little guys have survived. These guys are small. The best comparison is to an eyelash.

One of my males has taken over a different pleco tube and is defending it from everyone. So I think I may have another batch of fry at some point. I will probably leave them alone this time.

I believe they feed on infusoria sized foods for the first week free swimming after which they should be able to take baby brine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd use oak leaves from my shrimp tank. If you sink 4-6 leaves in a tank and move them to your fry rearing tank you will be stunned at the food production and fry growth rates.

Timber Wolf, you gotta stop breeding stuff I want. I only have 20 something tanks! Just kidding congrats.

This was so unexpected. I never dreamed I would find eggs and fry in my pleco tubes. I've found unexpected killie fry several times. I even found a lampeye. Now only if I can get them to that in a breeder tank. I have a total of 6 badis badis; 4 blue form, and 2 red. I will be getting a few more reds when I go to Rachel's (msjinkzd.com). I love that I live 20 miles from one of the best breeders of nano fish and invertebrates.

Congratulations. Please keep us posted on how you are doing with those little guys. I have tried to get them before but around here they only sell the males.

Last time I checked they were still there. I've been sick so they haven't had my undivided attention. I don't know why, but I keep finding fry in places they aren't supposed to be. I was fasting some endlers in a quarantine tank before I shipped them, and next thing I know, I have a dozen fry hanging around like they own the place. I shouldn't be annoyed, but still.

And I'm down to one. I had another egg hatch, but that wiggler is MIA. I wouldn't be surprised if I find a fry in my tank at some point. I have many places one could hide.

Question for you if you don't mind: I have a M/F pair, the tank has two pieces of cholla wood. I've already seen them display some spawning behavior. Would you suggest getting some sort of breeding cave or tube?

Yes. Mine spawned at the very back of a 6in pleco tube. I didn't even know there was a fish in the tube until I dumped it out with eggs and wigglers following. When I looked in the tube, the eggs were in the last 2in.

Hey Theresa. I just connected who you were. Mine spawned in a 2 inch. I don't think a 1.5in should be a problem. I would make sure it is 6in deep though.

That's me! I just ordered one so we'll see what happens. I'm supposed to be getting a second female tomorrow as well.

Back
Top Bottom