Balloon Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsowenhowarth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone... I have 3 balloon mollies. 2 female, one male.

The male is very interested in only one of the females, and constantly attempts to mate with her. You can see that they make "contact".

This has been going on for around 2 months now. I'm aware the gestation period is a month but the female is not growing in size and no babies.

Does she have to actively partake in the mate or is it a fact of "ha gotcha" by the male?

You can see his fin underneath making contact.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425855715.325016.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, welcome to AA.

My experience has been it can take longer. I had one molly in a holding tank for a month waiting when I thought it would be a week max. If very young, it may take longer too.

Your Mollies

Hello its...

Don't fret over whether or not the fish is pregnant. The bigger issue is to make the environment perfect for the fish. If you do, nature will takes its course.

Mollies are the most sensitive to their water conditions and their food of any of the livebearing fish. They need large, frequent water changes. Work up to the point you're removing and replacing half the tank water every week. Feed a variety of flakes, freeze dried and frozen foods.

Mollies are brackish water fish. They like a bit of standard aquarium salt added to their tank water. A couple of teaspoons for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water is enough.

Livebearing fish spend a lot of time in the upper part of the tank, so it makes them feel comfortable if you have a lot of floating plants. Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort are all good.

Get the tank set up to be comfortable for the fish and you'll get your fry.

B

While I agree with B that they are brackish, if you have any other fish like Corydoras in the tank I would forget about adding salt. Species like Corydoras are sensitive to salt.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom