Balloon Mollies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RexDarr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
So last night I was at my local pet store and bought a 20 gallon tank just because. The girlfriend wasn't too happy but once I told her my plan she changed her mind.
I want to breed some balloon mollies because who can say no to those cute little guys (and gals).

I'm planning on buying 3 females and 1 male plus adding 6 neon tetras and 3 Ottos. Considering that the neons and ottos have a pretty small bio load, would that be alright for a 20 gallon? There will be lots of live plants and places to hide.

My main questions are about balloon molly breeding:
1). Now I am planning on adding a bunch of live plants and driftwood but would I have to have a carpeting plant for the fry to hide in? Or a floating plant?
2). The average gestation period is 28 days and I feel like putting the pregnant mama in a breeding net or container would stress her out. If I kept her in the tank would the other tank mates pick on her after she gives birth? Considering she would be weak from giving birth I was thinking of putting her in a small bowl (like a 1 gallon) with water from the original tank for a day or two until she's strong again.
3). What is the ideal temperature for breeding? My 10 gallon sits around 76-80 degrees without a heater. Would that be good for the mollies?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh, forgot to add!
Googling articles and pictures of pregnant bubble mollies didn't yield much. What should I be looking for when the mama is ready to give birth? Any pictures from your experiences would be great!
And should I add some extda diluted aquarium salt when she's closer to giving birth? To make her less stressed?

1). Now I am planning on adding a bunch of live plants and driftwood but would I have to have a carpeting plant for the fry to hide in? Or a floating plant?

My breeding setup for endlers/guppies is java moss and originally hornwort but switched to water sprite.

2). The average gestation period is 28 days and I feel like putting the pregnant mama in a breeding net or container would stress her out. If I kept her in the tank would the other tank mates pick on her after she gives birth? Considering she would be weak from giving birth I was thinking of putting her in a small bowl (like a 1 gallon) with water from the original tank for a day or two until she's strong again.

I personally have never done this. I just leave them in the tank. i don't see how it could hurt though. Maybe replace the water every day with fresh tank water though or 50% wc

3). What is the ideal temperature for breeding? My 10 gallon sits around 76-80 degrees without a heater. Would that be good for the mollies?

That should be fine. The higher the temp the faster they breed, Grow up and die. I would not go much over 80, my tanks all sit around 77-81

DO NOT add ottos right away. They need a well established tank (several months)

The only thing i noticed with guppies/endlers before they give birth is the large bellies and trying to avoid most of the other fish somewhat.

never used the salt personally.

Anyone else? Really antsy to get this tank started :)

I would encourage breeding regular mollies instead.

Balloon fish are purposely deformed. I've read they actually have scoliosis which is what causes the spinal deformity. Because the spine is bent it pushes the organs outward.

There is many effects to this:
1. They have more trouble swimming.
2. They are more susceptible to disease
3. They have a shorter lifespan.
4. Some think they have more difficultly eating.

They may be cute to you, but I would not support the breeding and sale of balloon fish.

Caleb

I agree with ImACoolGuy, Balloon mollys are a painful deformity and in my opinion an unethical choice to intentionally breed. It is kind of like breeding guppys or Endler with bent spines. Does that appeal to you? Of course it doesn't.

I've breed a lot of fish and even came up with some two headed fry and would never try to perpetuate them. If you want to do mollys I'll send you all you want for a 20gal at no cost just shipping. I have silver, red sunset a few dalmatians and gold dust. P.M. me

Back
Top Bottom