Balloon mollies breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I heard that if you breed balloon mollies the fry won't look like a balloon if you will. Is this true ? He said they use some gas or something to make them have that balloon shape I am just really curious to know if this is true or not. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The balloon shape is caused by a spinal deformity. They are genetically weaker and don't live as long as well as being more susceptible to disease.

I wouldn't support breeding them at all. Sorry to burst the bubble.

Caleb

The balloon shape is caused by a spinal deformity. They are genetically weaker and don't live as long as well as being more susceptible to disease.

Caleb

No,no not looking to breed them myself I was just curious if what that guy told me was true

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Caleb

More like, sorry to burst the balloon!
I agree with Caleb though, it's really hard on the fish to have to live with a deformity like this. I wouldn't support breeding either.

I don't think they fill them with air or whatever. Think about it, how would the fish even be able to swim without floating to the top? Plus, such a mass produced fish, each single one being injected with air? It would be almost impossible to do.

Back
Top Bottom