Behavior of pregnant Fan Tail Gold Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mapexmac007

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with pregnant gold fish. Based upon the behavior of the two fan tails I have, I believe my white fan tail is male, and the gold fan tail is female.

They're both the same age, approximately 2 years old. Do these fish display any kind of specific behavior when they're ready to lay eggs? I've read a little bit here and there and I'm await as water temps rise slightly with the arrival of spring, mating rituals may begin.

Thanks,
MM007

Hi! Are you seeking specific information or just general information? For starters, goldfish do not become pregnant but gravid with eggs. The are an egg-scattering breed of fish that rely on the male for fertilization of the scattered eggs. Please ask any questions! :)

Hi JLK,
Thanks for your reply. General info for starters; and correct terminology (blush) helps. Gravid, not pregnant, got it, duly noted.

What behaviors might a gravid female display? I'm trying to ascertain if A: I indeed have a female, and if so, what might she look like if she's gravid, and what behavior(s) might she display?

For the past few days, she's been uncharacteristically sedentary, taking up a resting "spot" at the bottom of the tank, alongside a cozy rock feature.

I'd read that the male displays a slight increase in "aggressive" behavior, nudging the female when she's near the bottom, to get her to lay her eggs. That's as much as I know, other than the male will fertilize the eggs once she lays them. (I hope that's correct terminology).

It's important to note; she's been paired with a white fan tail, except for color, they're twins! They swim together, seemingly taunt each other (do fish play/tease each other?), but always in proximity to each other. When they sleep, they're very near each other.

They've been in treatment for an intestinal parasite which causes them to produce stringy, long, white feces.

Thanks again, any info is greatly appreciated.
MM007

Back
Top Bottom