best fish to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterwins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I am a novice fish breeder and want to start breeding. I would like to breed a fish that's easy to manage and that I can break even or profit a little from to get experience and then move on to more difficult types.

My ultimate dream would to breed seahorses as I love them so much.

As far as the setup what size would you recommend for starting with? And would it be better to have one tank divided into 2 sections or 2 tanks?

What is the best setup for my tank(s).

My budget is 300-500$

And finally are there any auto feeders available?

thanks,

Peter

Livebearers are a good choice as they breed like crazy but aren't profitable.

You might look into breeding Lyretail killifish. They aren't difficult to breed, are hard to find, and sell for a good price.

Rainbows, cory cats, or harlequin rasboras would also be good choices as well but can be more difficult to breed.

You could try something like CPO Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp "orange"

You can sometimes find new shipments with berried mommas and can easily raise them, and pretty easily breed more. They sell for around $10-12 and will have 30-50 babies at a time, wholesale, to fish stores probably 3 or so each in credit, maybe 2. or so for cash. Just a best estimate from our stores around here.

Some of the more hard to get dwarf shrimp too!!!

To sell on here maybe $7-8.

Growing some of the harder to find mosses and plants will get you decent money too

Livebearers are a good choice as they breed like crazy but aren't profitable.

You might look into breeding Lyretail killifish. They aren't difficult to breed, are hard to find, and sell for a good price.

Rainbows, cory cats, or harlequin rasboras would also be good choices as well but can be more difficult to breed.

Where would you recommend selling the Lyretail killifish?

Think of it this way, as a general rule,

Easier to breed=Less profitable

Yes I understand that I want experience right now and want to try to lose the least amount of $.

You could try something like CPO Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp "orange"

You can sometimes find new shipments with berried mommas and can easily raise them, and pretty easily breed more. They sell for around $10-12 and will have 30-50 babies at a time, wholesale, to fish stores probably 3 or so each in credit, maybe 2. or so for cash. Just a best estimate from our stores around here.

Some of the more hard to get dwarf shrimp too!!!

To sell on here maybe $7-8.

Growing some of the harder to find mosses and plants will get you decent money too
Thanks ill look into them!

Aqua bid, local fish stores, other online sites

A pair can fetch 10-15 or possibly more at retail or you can just sell the eggs since they ship very well

Aqua bid, local fish stores, other online sites

A pair can fetch 10-15 or possibly more at retail or you can just sell the eggs since they ship very well

Thanks for the fast response I think I am going to try breeding CPO Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp orange. I think they look very neat.

Back
Top Bottom