Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9
best fish to breed?

Hello I am a novice fish breeder and want to start breeding. I would like to breed a fish that's easy to manage and that I can break even or profit a little from to get experience and then move on to more difficult types.

My ultimate dream would to breed seahorses as I love them so much.

As far as the setup what size would you recommend for starting with? And would it be better to have one tank divided into 2 sections or 2 tanks?

What is the best setup for my tank(s).

My budget is 300-500$

And finally are there any auto feeders available?

thanks,


Peter
__________________

__________________
peterwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,614
Livebearers are a good choice as they breed like crazy but aren't profitable.

You might look into breeding Lyretail killifish. They aren't difficult to breed, are hard to find, and sell for a good price.

Rainbows, cory cats, or harlequin rasboras would also be good choices as well but can be more difficult to breed.
__________________

__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lt.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Butte, Montana
Posts: 809
Think of it this way, as a general rule,

Easier to breed=Less profitable
__________________
Whenever I watch the News, no matter what network it is, i'm like:
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 13,344
You could try something like CPO Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp "orange"

You can sometimes find new shipments with berried mommas and can easily raise them, and pretty easily breed more. They sell for around $10-12 and will have 30-50 babies at a time, wholesale, to fish stores probably 3 or so each in credit, maybe 2. or so for cash. Just a best estimate from our stores around here.

Some of the more hard to get dwarf shrimp too!!!


To sell on here maybe $7-8.

Growing some of the harder to find mosses and plants will get you decent money too
__________________

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Livebearers are a good choice as they breed like crazy but aren't profitable.

You might look into breeding Lyretail killifish. They aren't difficult to breed, are hard to find, and sell for a good price.

Rainbows, cory cats, or harlequin rasboras would also be good choices as well but can be more difficult to breed.
Where would you recommend selling the Lyretail killifish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Think of it this way, as a general rule,

Easier to breed=Less profitable
Yes I understand that I want experience right now and want to try to lose the least amount of $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
You could try something like CPO Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp "orange"

You can sometimes find new shipments with berried mommas and can easily raise them, and pretty easily breed more. They sell for around $10-12 and will have 30-50 babies at a time, wholesale, to fish stores probably 3 or so each in credit, maybe 2. or so for cash. Just a best estimate from our stores around here.

Some of the more hard to get dwarf shrimp too!!!


To sell on here maybe $7-8.

Growing some of the harder to find mosses and plants will get you decent money too
Thanks ill look into them!
__________________
peterwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,614
Aqua bid, local fish stores, other online sites

A pair can fetch 10-15 or possibly more at retail or you can just sell the eggs since they ship very well
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Aqua bid, local fish stores, other online sites

A pair can fetch 10-15 or possibly more at retail or you can just sell the eggs since they ship very well
Thanks for the fast response I think I am going to try breeding CPO Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp orange. I think they look very neat.
__________________

__________________
peterwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×