Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Best fish to breed to get most money back using 5,10, and 20 gallon.

I know using these tanks is hard to make a profit, but what type of fish will make the most money back using the 3 tanks that I have? I'm not looking for a great profit as I hope the fish is able to get ahold of and isn't greatly difficult to care for.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
CMN
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mollies! Platies! For a 10gallon. Dont know how much they wil make you but they are the easiest to breed and mollies ik are very strong.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
come get me tang police!

First thing i to figure out your market. Who are you selling to? Local? Shipping? Next thing is to figure out what there is a demand for. Then figure out whether you can make it work with your tank setup.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMN
Mollies! Platies! For a 10gallon. Dont know how much they wil make you but they are the easiest to breed and mollies ik are very strong.
I got $10 for a batch of 25 mollies at a LFS... Thats .40/fish.... It cost more than $10 to feed them the 3 mths it took to get them to 1.5"... Not stopping me but I realize I won't be making any money...
And the complication came when I needed a ratio of 1m:2/3f... 3 mollies will be overcrowded and pollute a 10g very quickly... I know because in the beginning before I found this site I did it... Had all sorts of things out of whack..
You could do 3 in a 20g...
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some ideas would be some type of endlers or lampeye killies in the 5, a nice strain of guppies, or another type of small killifish, or dwarf crayfish, in the 10, and in the 20 a pair of apistos or some smallish rainbows like threadfins.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You honestly really will not get that great of a profit from selling fish unless you do it on a large scale or unless you have more expensive fish. I keep endlers and while they do reproduce like madness, it takes months until they're of size so that I can ship them.

Apistogrammas are a good bet, but if you find a good price on them let me know, I've been trying to find apistogrammas myself haha.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here in Calgary Pisces pet emporium carries cockatoo cichlid and some fish I've never seen before. Idk the price on them though. And riverfront aquatics or riverfront aquariums ( can't remember what it's called) have very good deals. I got a pair of kribs for $8 and the fish were great, but they only have 3 day garuntee/warranty.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
First thing i to figure out your market. Who are you selling to? Local? Shipping? Next thing is to figure out what there is a demand for. Then figure out whether you can make it work with your tank setup.
+1

Are you willing to ship? Your options are endless.

Are you just willing to sell locally? Your options are limited.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes I'm willing to ship.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then go onto AquaBid to explore and see what fish are getting what price.

Have you ever spawned fish before? You'll need more equipment to do so, so there is a monetary investment you'll have to make up front.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok. And yes I have spawned before. I've bred guppies, endlers, my eggs died in my Betta spawn, an I've bred kribensis.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kribs pretty much spawn themselves..... LOL. When I had mine, I didn't even have to remove the fry from the main tank. Those guys are bullet proof.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Haha yeah. I had a few problems with my kribs. So should I go with the Bolivians to make sure or get som Germans and see if I can get lucky.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5424
Here in Calgary Pisces pet emporium carries cockatoo cichlid and some fish I've never seen before. Idk the price on them though. And riverfront aquatics or riverfront aquariums ( can't remember what it's called) have very good deals. I got a pair of kribs for $8 and the fish were great, but they only have 3 day garuntee/warranty.
Have you ever gone to "Big Al's" in Calgary it's a nice store I live in Calgary too and go to Pisces & river front as well they are very nice stores
Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes I've also gone to Big Al's. I'm surprised how good quality and a variety of fish they have here. I guess I'm used to seeing low quality fish in petland and pet smart.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I find river front has the best deals as I got my pair of kribs from them for $8. They have 2 for 1 (bogo) every 2nd Saturday of the month.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you're prepared to break the bank for a pair of zebra plecos you can make quite a steady income on them if they do breed.

Tags
20 gallon, breed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com