Best small scale brine shrimp hatchery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've seen DIY set ups, I just want to try smaller scale at first as I haven't hatched brine shrimp in about 20 years. How are the San Francisco Bay brand kits?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. That's the model I was thinking about getting.

I ordered it off Amazon along with other stuff. About the same price and I get free shipping. I heard Ken's food is good stuff.

I just use 1/2 gal glass containers. Any shape. ( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...hatchery-and-everything-angels-324616-52.html Post #519) ( Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: Instruction charts - Picture)
Currently using Brine Shrimp direct eggs ( economy- 85% hatch) at 78 degree temp. Easy peezy and getting at least 85% hatch. 4-5 tablespoons of salt to 1 gallon of water ratio. Next to the OSI I used to use back in the old days, these are the easyist ones I've worked with. SFB needs cooler water to hatch so if you use them, keep this in mind. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Needing cooler water is a good thing as I'll be hatching in the basement. Thanks Andy!

Be careful with that base I've noticed the connection for air snaps off easily.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did notice that and a check valve is an absolute must. What do you use? I'm getting ready to see if anything hatched here in a bit.

I'm using the same base but the bottle is diy now with the tube siliconed into the cap. I use 2 valves in my line, one to cut off air and the other to drain shrimp.
I will be ordering some of the fancier hatcheries soon though, just one won't cut it for long.

Could you post a link to the fancy hatchery you're ordering. How do you store the unused hatched shrimp and do you rinse yours? I didn't rinse mine, a lot of people put salt in with guppies so I didn't think a little bit would hurt.

Could you post a link to the fancy hatchery you're ordering. How do you store the unused hatched shrimp and do you rinse yours? I didn't rinse mine, a lot of people put salt in with guppies so I didn't think a little bit would hurt.

I will be using Imhoff cones in a tank like this, but on a much smaller scale http://saltlakebrineshrimp.com/hatching-brine-shrimp/

Whoa. Looks far too complicated for me. Lol I was thinking you meant the $40 hatchery kits off Amazon.

Well he new thing tipped over within the first hour!
Only one suction cup to hold it in place so.....
I will rig up something like I should have known to !

Do you all rinse your bbs before you feed it?

Be careful with that base I've noticed the connection for air snaps off easily.

^+1^
As I am down to 2 out of 3 until I fix it up!

Do you all rinse your bbs before you feed it?

I do.
I pour them out from hatcher into a fine white net and then dip/drag them through my 32g water prep barrel(dechlorinated and heated).

Ok. I do have a brine shrimp net but wasn't sure how effective it is. Also how are you storing the unused portions?

If I make more then I use(you should not if possible),I leave them in the hatcher and try to feed them out ASAP.
I just don't drain out all the water from the hatcher leaving extra behind.
Part of the value of BBS is the egg sac that the shrimp uses up itself in first 24 + hours.
This is why many have multiple hatchers for daily yields.
If you were to keep the shrimp more then 24 hours then they should be fed IMO.
Many different things can be fed (to be found in search),but if I have to feed I give mine 'selcon'.
A marine product.
I believe their are easy cheap DIY feeds for bbs,but the selcon is the bomb!(read about it).

Gotcha. My issue at this point is that I used the packet that came with the hatchery. It provided more than what I need at this time so I did leave them in the hatchery with the air on. Next time I will use less

Back
Top Bottom