Best way to breed mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey!
I want to breed my black molly and white molly. There are another variety of fish mixed with my molly so I'm not sure if I should separate them from the group of fish.
Basic question how do I breed mollies?"

Hey!
I want to breed my black molly and white molly. There are another variety of fish mixed with my molly so I'm not sure if I should separate them from the group of fish.
Basic question how do I breed mollies?"

Assuming that you have at least a female and male mollies, let nature takes it course.

How long do you think it will take a new male molly to adjust to a new tank as start mating with the female molly?

It took mine about two weeks in the tank before he started chasing the female around. It wasn't long after that when I noticed she was pregnant. :)

kdmalkmus said:
It took mine about two weeks in the tank before he started chasing the female around. It wasn't long after that when I noticed she was pregnant. :)

More or less how long do you think she held the fry before she started popping them out? Lol :)
And how do you know when she's ready?

Best way to breed mollies-
Step1- add mollies.
Step2- wait for the babies :) lol

Mrc8858 said:
Best way to breed mollies-
Step1- add mollies.
Step2- wait for the babies :) lol

Lol pretty nice idea right?! :) I'm just so excited and anxious to have fry "again"

khoifish89 said:
having fish fries is very exciting. just want to make sure you have the right ratio, 3F to 1M. So the male would not harass the female to max.

Yes they are. I remember buying my molly and in like less than a week I found fry hiding in the gravel and I had no idea she was pregnant. I was so new to it. At first 5 survived out of ten and ten they slowly started to go bye-bye. Just the other day one died idk why but I found it stuck in the filter twice even tho it had been in the tank smaller and it never got stuck. Now I'm left with two and it look like one is female and the other is male.

By the way, Do they mate with platy? I have one female molly and one female platy and one of my fry who's almost a big as the mother is also a female. Would this work?

More or less how long do you think she held the fry before she started popping them out? Lol :)
And how do you know when she's ready?

She is still pregnant right now! Put her in the breeder net today because she looks like she is getting really close. If she doesn't deliver by tomorrow, I will probably take her out. Mine is a platy (livebearer also) and from what I have read, platy pregnancies seem to be shorter than molly pregnancies. I was convinced one of my mollies was pregnant for over two months before I finally decided that she must have just gotten fat. As long as molly pregnancies are, who knows. She could pop out fry tomorrow. I am so bad about waiting. I watch the tank all day. I should find something better to do. :blink:

Good luck!

kdmalkmus said:
She is still pregnant right now! Put her in the breeder net today because she looks like she is getting really close. If she doesn't deliver by tomorrow, I will probably take her out. Mine is a platy (livebearer also) and from what I have read, platy pregnancies seem to be shorter than molly pregnancies. I was convinced one of my mollies was pregnant for over two months before I finally decided that she must have just gotten fat. As long as molly pregnancies are, who knows. She could pop out fry tomorrow. I am so bad about waiting. I watch the tank all day. I should find something better to do. :blink:

Good luck!

I'm the same way. I get anxious and don't want any fry to get eaten. :)

Yes i've got molly babies and it is very exciting but for your question, as khoifish89 said let nature take its course. When the female is about to drop fry, she will look kinda square. And yes it is better when you have 2 or more females per male in mollies, guppies, and platies.

animals970 said:
Yes i've got molly babies and it is very exciting but for your question, as khoifish89 said let nature take its course. When the female is about to drop fry, she will look kinda square. And yes it is better when you have 2 or more females per male in mollies, guppies, and platies.

Thank you :)

ocminpin said:
About 15 mins-12 hours... In my experience with several males..

Thanks I just seem to watch my male molly and he's just loves to swim back and forth an doesn't even care who's around.

flavia21 said:
Thanks I just seem to watch my male molly and he's just loves to swim back and forth an doesn't even care who's around.

Different fish different personalities... And the longer they're in the tank the more the fish evolve and behavior changes too :)

ocminpin said:
Different fish different personalities... And the longer they're in the tank the more the fish evolve and behavior changes too :)

He is very active and I'm happy he'd enjoying his new environment.

Back
Top Bottom