Beta making bubbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My mother has a Betta fish in a vase that came with a plant. We discarded the plant since the betta passed away over a year that we had it. We purchased a new betta and noticed it making bubbles on the water surface. I read somewhere that this is a form of mating but I heard you cannot put 2 betas in a tank together? If a female and male mate eventually one will die. What can my mother do to keep this betta happy? Thanks

This beta is happy! Bubble nests are not only a display of mating, but also a display of happiness/contentness. I would suggest a small tank - maybe two gallons. This will give the beta more room to swim around.

Your betta is making a bubble nest, which is where he would care for the eggs and fry if he had any. Its generally a good thing to see, as they are usually in good shape healthwise before they make a nest. Bettas do much better in a 2.5 gallon tank or bigger. Bettas usually only live 2-3 years and when you buy one from the store it is an adult- the bigger the older- so I'll bet your past betta died because it was old. They can live up to five years in good conditions, but rarely when they are kept like most people do. Bettas don't do well in a planted vase. First, they need lots of surface room to breath and the roots cut of their air supply. Second is people think the bettas eat the roots, which is only true when they are desperate to survive and the roots are all they have.

Happy Happy Betta!!! Yea I would run down and get a nice 5G tank for him. I just got a 5G Hex /w eclips filter for $30 at walmart. It's all you need, filter that don't move much water but enough to keep things clear, and lots of room (well for a betta.)

Good luck with your happy betta!

I have a male and female betta and when Spike is being a good Betta boy then he gets to visit with his girl-betta-friend, Lola. I haven't had any spawning yet, but they don't rip one another to shreds either. I only leave them together for about a hour or so.

I actually have a male and female pair that have been in the same little container for a while now to spawn at school and Ghost doesn't attack Moon at all and they're in a large tupperware container.

Wow, I'm afraid to leave mine together for longer then a hour. I have only seen the initial flaring and then they seem to enjoy one another.

CompMag wrote: I just got a 5G Hex /w eclips filter for $30 at walmart.

A heads up Comp, In the past I went through 2 of these tanks within weeks and they both had the same production error. The acrylic is blown in from the bottom of the tank, the exit point of the hot plastic blower is on the bottom with but a thin layer of plastic over it. It's the little circle in the exact middle on the bottom. The shear weight of the water plants gravel ect. caused this tank model to leak slowly and then severely within a week. After treating a brand new tank with silicone on the bottom and waiting for it to dry for a day or so it too developed the same problem within a week of its cycling. The exit point cracked and out came the water. After tank 2 with the same problem I'd had enough of it, I took it back to walmart for a full refund and went and got a ten gallon glass aquarium kit for the same price. $30. While in the fish aisle I opened the boxes of the other eclipse hex tanks ....and they ALL had the same flaw. Hopefully this was just a mass production error and not intentional. They need to take this tank product back to formula and find a more efficient way of moulding the acrylic. The bottom needs to be thicker as does the exit point need to be fuller and not so frail.

GOODLUCK maybe yours will be ok .....but then again???

Back
Top Bottom