Betta breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everybody! I just bought a betta, but have had them before! I got a pretty little female so she would get along with her tank mates. I'm interested in breeding bettas. I would like some info on what you need to breed them and how long It takes and about how many fry will reach full size and how long that takes :) also who would I give the extra bettas to that I wouldn't want? I would probably buy a pretty make from a LFS to breed my female. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414539578.563445.jpg not a great pic... But that's her I will try to get another picture now! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414539697.674674.jpg she isn't quite as bright blue as in the pictures! New might makes the fish super blue in pics! But I want to have the one male and female and breed them once. Maybe keep my favorite male and use him to breed as well. Can I do that? Also how many times can the makes ms females breed and how often? Thanks guys! Oh and one more thing what kind of tanks would I need? My females lives in this 10 gallon with other fish and I want to def keep her in there!

Sent from my iPhone

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414545612.568338.jpg better picture of her color but it's fuzzy..

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks! Is there some kind of way that you know to have less fry? Like separate the pair after a little bit shorter? And do you know of any places who will take the little guys?

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks! Is there some kind of way that you know to have less fry? Like separate the pair after a little bit shorter? And do you know of any places who will take the little guys?

Sent from my iPhone

Bettas don;t work that way. You need to leave them be as the male is the one who takes care of the eggs so if you disturb him, he will most likely abandon the nest. Not all the fry will survive so you really want as many as you can to see what you get from the spawn.

As for where to get rid of them, if you don't have a local shop that will take them, you have the option of selling them online or on craiglist. If you are not willing to do this, you may want to reconsider breeding them or you will need to be extra picky when culling what fry you want or you may become swamped with bottles and jars and tanks from the spawn. Just an FYI: When I started breeding bettas again, I did 2 pairs. We had a hard freeze that year so I needed to bring in all the fish from outside where I kept them usually. Total count was 100 jars I had to find room for. You can see some of them in my albums section of my profile. :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)

Ok... Would you want little ones? Because I would want to breed like once, just for experience! How earlier can you tell the sex? I really just want to breed them and only have a few pretty ones! Haha I know that's not possible...

Sent from my iPhone

Ok... Would you want little ones? Because I would want to breed like once, just for experience! How earlier can you tell the sex? I really just want to breed them and only have a few pretty ones! Haha I know that's not possible...

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry, no. I am out of the betta breeding game again. Too much work for me. lol I am back to breeding Angelfish. If you cannot find anyone, you will just have to dispose of the fish you don;t want.
As for genders, you can tell roughly about 2 1/2 - 3 months old. You will want to remove the larger fry as they start to grow so they don;t stunt their siblings. (y)

Oh I'm not going to do it.. I would want to be able to tell which ones I want before they big so I wouldn't need a big tank. Thanks for the advice! Maybe one day when I have the time!

Sent from my iPhone

Sounds like you made the right choice in the end.

What a beautiful girl you have there!

I have breed some animals before I just think it's a neat experience! Maybe I will breed something like cories or mystery snails ;) those guys I'm always in need of!

Sent from my iPhone

And thank you! She was $3 and is very purty! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414635359.953240.jpg this is her tank! It looks bad now, but once the plants grow in it will look good(at least I hope)!!

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom