Betta breeding blog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta_boiii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. Pretty new to the forum. I casually keep and breed fish of multiple species, mostly livebearers though. I have, however, a passion for betas. I have had multiple spawns and will document any more in this forum

This is the most recent spawn, between a super red delta and a mustard veil tail female. Unfortunately the eggs were eaten a day after incubation. The male was guarding before then. Anyone have any suspicions why?IMG_2933.jpgIMG_2932.jpg

Also, this spawn breeding took place over the course of just a week, as the two betas were extremely calm to one another and were already showing the signs of acceptance to one another

Alright guys you'll never guess. Today was checking up on the male when I saw two terrified fry swimming frantically at the bottom of the tank. The dad must've missed them. Needless to say, the father has been removed and the fry left to wander. They have been eating the naturally occurring planaria and I am thinking of a potential food source. Also, at what stage should I begin feeding brine shrimp? I don't want these fry to die although I see why someone would consider culling. SOS need urgent help. Pretty worried planaria may not be nutritious.IMG_2944.jpgIMG_2951.jpgIMG_2948.jpg

There is a few things that some breeders do when it comes to what fry to keep. If you want a lot of fish that may need culling at a later date, you should start with infusoria for about 3 or 4 days then switch to newly hatched brine shrimp. This will allow the smaller, weaker fish to have a better chance of surviving. Me, I just use newly hatched brine from the start. The fry that aren't large enough to eat it from the start are too small for me anyway. ;)
Your choice. ;) (y)

There is a few things that some breeders do when it comes to what fry to keep. If you want a lot of fish that may need culling at a later date, you should start with infusoria for about 3 or 4 days then switch to newly hatched brine shrimp. This will allow the smaller, weaker fish to have a better chance of surviving. Me, I just use newly hatched brine from the start. The fry that aren't large enough to eat it from the start are too small for me anyway. ;)

Your choice. ;) (y)

Thanks for the fast reply Andy. Would egg yolk mixture work? I heard it clouds the tank. Also, what water changes do you recommend?

Thanks a lot for helping Andy. Unfortunately, I've already read that a year ago. I was just wondering wether fry knew how to eat planaria and snail

Fry don't need to be taught to eat any certain type of food. if it's a natural source and their mouths can handle it, they should eat it. That said, Betta fry have very small mouths and depending on how small the fry were when they became free swimming determines how small the food needs to be. A fry from a young Betta will not be as large as one from an old Betta so the foods they can eat change with size.

Update time!!!!!! The babies are doing really well. Reached 0.35 inches already. The dad has recovered very well although being separated caused fin nipping. Now he looks like a double tail. Just got this female from a friend. It's huge. Can't tell what kind though. Any help? I think it's a crowntail but can't be sure

Back
Top Bottom