Betta breeding help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skull.kid.q

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Only notice this morning that I have a bubble nest in my female tank? I was sure the 3 bettas in there were all female, horizontal lines, white egg spot, never seen any of them flare their gills like that males, short fins (I know not all males have long fins)

She has been guarding and maintaining the nest, catching and placing any loose fry back in the nest. Chasing any other fish away that come near the nest.

Is it possible she has somehow held onto some fertilised eggs during the time I tried pairing her up with a male?
Or changing sex to male in an all female environment?

Or more likely, my girl is really a boy?

Only notice this morning that I have a bubble nest in my female tank? I was sure the 3 bettas in there were all female, horizontal lines, white egg spot, never seen any of them flare their gills like that males, short fins (I know not all males have long fins)

She has been guarding and maintaining the nest, catching and placing any loose fry back in the nest. Chasing any other fish away that come near the nest.

Is it possible she has somehow held onto some fertilised eggs during the time I tried pairing her up with a male?
Or changing sex to male in an all female environment?

Or more likely, my girl is really a boy?

More likely your girl is really a guy :brows: Eggs are fertilized outside of the body so they could not be left overs she was holding on to. If you have fry, one of your fish is a male. The one taking care of the fry is most likely the one (y)
To my knowledge, bettas are not hermaphradidic so your male may have been an unsexed juvenile when you got it, that finally matured. Finnage is no longer a guarantee for sexing as Plakat males have been on the market and young ones look like females. The egg spot is about the only way to know for sure. This is why you want to breed larger fish as the sexes are pretty easy to tell.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom