Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
YoungGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 82
Betta fish not spawning

They're in a 5 gal, filled 6" with water, temperature is 80 degrees.

The male has built a bubble nest under a styrofoam cup, the female is full with eggs. They are clearly interested in each other. The female puts her head down and even nips him but they will not go under the bubble nest and actually spawn.
I guess my question is what do I do next? Separate them for a day or two?
__________________

__________________
YoungGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oohitsae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 1,600
How long have they been together? Did you condition them?

Sometimes it takes a few days, if you haven't seem anything by day 5 then pull them and recondition for a couple weeks and try again. Or if you notice him getting too aggressive pull and recondition right away.
__________________

__________________
Oohitsae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
YoungGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post
How long have they been together? Did you condition them?

Sometimes it takes a few days, if you haven't seem anything by day 5 then pull them and recondition for a couple weeks and try again. Or if you notice him getting too aggressive pull and recondition right away.
They've been with each other on and off for about 4-5 days. I give her breaks and put her in a clear container but so they can still see each other.
I did condition them with blood worms.

Should I make it so they can't see each other or just keep them separated?
__________________
YoungGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oohitsae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuppy View Post

They've been with each other on and off for about 4-5 days. I give her breaks and put her in a clear container but so they can still see each other.
I did condition them with blood worms.

Should I make it so they can't see each other or just keep them separated?
Yeah, I would pull them both and recondition for a couple weeks.
Try adding more variety into their foods, brine shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms, etc. along with a good quality pellet once a day. You want to feed small amounts multiple times daily during conditioning to help them think it's rainy season and food is plentiful.
You also don't want to let them see each other or other bettas for more than like 15 minutes a day and do a lot more large water changes than you would normally with somewhat cooler water. Say a daily to every other day change of 50% with water about 6-8* cooler than the tank water
__________________
Oohitsae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
YoungGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post

Yeah, I would pull them both and recondition for a couple weeks.
Try adding more variety into their foods, brine shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms, etc. along with a good quality pellet once a day. You want to feed small amounts multiple times daily during conditioning to help them think it's rainy season and food is plentiful.
You also don't want to let them see each other or other bettas for more than like 15 minutes a day and do a lot more large water changes than you would normally with somewhat cooler water. Say a daily to every other day change of 50% with water about 6-8* cooler than the tank water
Are the cooler water changes tricking them into thinking it's rain water or?
I keep the heater at 80 degrees right?
__________________
YoungGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oohitsae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuppy View Post

Are the cooler water changes tricking them into thinking it's rain water or?
I keep the heater at 80 degrees right?
Yes, they'll think it's the beginning of the wet season, which is when most fish lay their eggs so that food for fry is plentiful.
I'd turn the heat down to about 78* and then do the water changes daily. Once they lay you can turn the temp back up to 80-82*
__________________
Oohitsae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
YoungGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post

Yes, they'll think it's the beginning of the wet season, which is when most fish lay their eggs so that food for fry is plentiful.
I'd turn the heat down to about 78* and then do the water changes daily. Once they lay you can turn the temp back up to 80-82*
I will try that, thank you!
__________________
YoungGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oohitsae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 1,600
Hopefully it'll work out for you!
__________________

__________________
Oohitsae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×