Betta fish not spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YoungGuppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
They're in a 5 gal, filled 6" with water, temperature is 80 degrees.

The male has built a bubble nest under a styrofoam cup, the female is full with eggs. They are clearly interested in each other. The female puts her head down and even nips him but they will not go under the bubble nest and actually spawn.
I guess my question is what do I do next? Separate them for a day or two?

How long have they been together? Did you condition them?

Sometimes it takes a few days, if you haven't seem anything by day 5 then pull them and recondition for a couple weeks and try again. Or if you notice him getting too aggressive pull and recondition right away.

How long have they been together? Did you condition them?

Sometimes it takes a few days, if you haven't seem anything by day 5 then pull them and recondition for a couple weeks and try again. Or if you notice him getting too aggressive pull and recondition right away.

They've been with each other on and off for about 4-5 days. I give her breaks and put her in a clear container but so they can still see each other.
I did condition them with blood worms.

Should I make it so they can't see each other or just keep them separated?

They've been with each other on and off for about 4-5 days. I give her breaks and put her in a clear container but so they can still see each other.
I did condition them with blood worms.

Should I make it so they can't see each other or just keep them separated?

Yeah, I would pull them both and recondition for a couple weeks.
Try adding more variety into their foods, brine shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms, etc. along with a good quality pellet once a day. You want to feed small amounts multiple times daily during conditioning to help them think it's rainy season and food is plentiful.
You also don't want to let them see each other or other bettas for more than like 15 minutes a day and do a lot more large water changes than you would normally with somewhat cooler water. Say a daily to every other day change of 50% with water about 6-8* cooler than the tank water

Yeah, I would pull them both and recondition for a couple weeks.
Try adding more variety into their foods, brine shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms, etc. along with a good quality pellet once a day. You want to feed small amounts multiple times daily during conditioning to help them think it's rainy season and food is plentiful.
You also don't want to let them see each other or other bettas for more than like 15 minutes a day and do a lot more large water changes than you would normally with somewhat cooler water. Say a daily to every other day change of 50% with water about 6-8* cooler than the tank water

Are the cooler water changes tricking them into thinking it's rain water or?
I keep the heater at 80 degrees right?

Are the cooler water changes tricking them into thinking it's rain water or?
I keep the heater at 80 degrees right?

Yes, they'll think it's the beginning of the wet season, which is when most fish lay their eggs so that food for fry is plentiful.
I'd turn the heat down to about 78* and then do the water changes daily. Once they lay you can turn the temp back up to 80-82*

Yes, they'll think it's the beginning of the wet season, which is when most fish lay their eggs so that food for fry is plentiful.
I'd turn the heat down to about 78* and then do the water changes daily. Once they lay you can turn the temp back up to 80-82*

I will try that, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom