Betta fish sex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imate003

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I have a quick question. I bought a male Betta not too long ago, I then began to read about breeding and thought it would be a fun process so I went to purchase a female. I do not know much about them, but to me they look identical! Can someone tell me which one is male or female or if they are both males?

Thank you!

Fish 1:
vWL0gUg.jpg

Fish 2:
Q0cXGDI.jpg

They both look male to me ,but I am not a betta expert?
I know fish in general pretty good though.

They are probably both males. I have had lots of bettas and just because there fins are long does not mean they are male. Just some advice.

I read the title without my glasses and I thought it said Better fish sex.

Sometimes being half blind is fun.

Betta breeding is not just a fun process, I don't mean to be critical but spawning bettas will be hard and you need to have the time to raise 100+ betta fry, do water changes very frequently and then separate all of them once they reach a certain age. You need plans for further housing for all of them. You should also be just generally for knowledgeable about betta breeding and betta care in general. Sorry to say but, since you couldn't tell the difference between a female and a male I don't think you have the experience yet to begin breeding. Also the bettas look like they're in bowls, that isn't permanent, correct? Either way bettas need ideally 5 gallons minimum heated, filtered tank.

I read the title without my glasses and I thought it said Better fish sex.

Sometimes being half blind is fun.

:lol::lol: LOL Me too. And yet I clicked on it. What does that say? :brows:

I don't know much about bettas but I am interested in them because I see them all over the place. Best of luck to you! :D

They are definitely males. The huge anal fin compared to the females are obvious. Cos the male carries the eggs in the fin and the female's has to be small to allow the male to reach the eggs

Almost certainly both are males. Breeding bettas is rather easy. With correct water parameters, some floating plants, a slow or no current in the tank, and fish in good condition, it's fairly straightforward. Put the male in the tank and give him a few days to adjust. Get a female in good condition - fat and round and with white ovipositor tip showing, and float her in the tank with the male in a separate jar for a few hours and then release her.
The male will build a bubble nest, they will court and spawn (I'm not giving details here).
The problem is raising the fry - they are very small when they hatch and need especially small food.
But with a little care, it's not difficult - I've raised hundreds of young bettas from eggs. Read up on them and give it a try.

I have a male beta and your second picture looks more like a male. But it could be possible that they are both males.

IMG_4027.jpgIMG_4028.jpg

Back
Top Bottom