Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Betta freaking out

I just added a betta to my community tank (6 tetras, Otto, nerite snail mystery snail, ramshorn and 8 red cherry shrimp). The betta is "fluffing" out for no apparent reason..... It's not going at any of the snails (which I would expect it to "fluff" at). Is it maybe seeing its reflection and freaking out???? It's only been in about 45 minutes but I'm not sure if it is just getting acclimated or if it will calm down?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A male betta? I'm no expert but just from reading these forums I've reached the understanding that a male betta should be kept alone as they are aggressive. I hope someone can enlighten us both, I could be wrong. I think even female bettas are tetchy. They can be kept together if they were raised together from a young age. Not sure how that would transpose onto a community tank with other species though.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My betta always flares and tries to attack his own reflection so I know he would be too aggressive for a community tank. Mild-tempered bettas can sometimes be put into a community tank as long as the tankmates are larger and non-betta colors.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

Surprisingly after 5 hours no one has been nipped or chased! I'm going to keep a watch on him for the next couple days.... I think he's just getting acclimated..... Hopefully!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Watch the cherry shrimp and other fish bettas will eat shrimp. And will chase any other bright colored fish. If there is a filter flow he will not like that and not calm down....he will stress.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98kshooter View Post
Watch the cherry shrimp and other fish bettas will eat shrimp. And will chase any other bright colored fish. If there is a filter flow he will not like that and not calm down....he will stress.
Thank you for the warning!!! So far he's only going after the little ramshorn snails (which I'm having a small explosion of so... I'm grateful ) I have tons of hiding for the shrimp and he hasn't seemed to notice them but I will keep a watchful eye! And the flow of the filter doesn't seem to be bothering him, he's keeping away from it but doesn't seem bothered by it! I've only ever had a betta by itself but I thought I would try it since they are so gorgeous and add color and flare!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-338792241.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	171961  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My betta destroyed all my rcs. He only lives with oto's and snails now
Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good deal! looks like he has a good home there, but when he notices the RCS, it may get ugly....Took mine a while to notice the ghosties in his house, but when he did, the Ghosties all went in another tank! He got a couple before I could net em all up!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some Bettas do fine with the shrimp and some don't. It really does depend on their temperment. One of mine does really with all the shrimp in his tank but the other 3 do not tolerate shrimp at all, just their nerites.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

He's probably trying to exert his dominance in the tank! I'm lucky my boy isn't interested in any of his tank mates and I haven't seen him flare at all.
Just keep an eye on him whilst he settles

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com