Betta New Breader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

numbnuts

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new to this whole breeding thing and have done my research. I was wondering why my female is avoiding my male. He hasn't attacked her, but in only how research said that it was okay as long as he isn't continually attacking and injuring her. Anyway my question is why might she be avoiding him? He is also being very sneaky.

She's probably not ready to breed. What kind of conditioning did you do beforehand? What's the breeding setup? How did you introduce them? Is he showing off, or stalking her?

I don't know what you mean by conditioning, but the tank is pretty big and the water is like 3 inches. I put the male in a bag because I did not have a big enough divider and then took him out. also had them meet before I put them in front of each other and both of their fins flared or something, and look interested in each other. and he is staking her. He also hasn't make a nest yet and I don't know how to get him to do that.

Your doing it wrong. The male has to make the nest in the tank as he sees her in a floating cup in his tank. The male has to have a nest prepared for the eggs. And your female should have lines or a line down the side of her to know she's carrying eggs. The male will kill her trying to breed the way your doing it for sure. You can use anything to float her as long as it's see through. I'd use a large vase. I recommend you do more research before hand.

Breeding bettas isn't easy, and taking care of the fry is harder. If you don't know what conditioning is (getting the fish ready to breed by changing temps, feeding high quality frozen/live foods which helps their bodies prepare for the production of eggs/energy for breeding/care of eggs and fry) than I think you have a lot more to read about before attempting this. They have to be introduced properly. The male needs to have an eggnest ready, or start building one pretty quick from seeing the female 'in' his area. She needs to be 'eggy'. Temp of the water needs to be right, and even after all that they may just not click, or one kills the other, or the dad doesn't care for the eggs/fry.

Also, remember you still have to get homes for all the fry you do managed to raise, so I hope you have someone lined up to sell/take them to. Most people don't care about veiltails anymore, and want the 'fancier' varieties. There are also genetics to considered that will influence colors, fins and body shape.

Breeding bettas isn't easy, and taking care of the fry is harder. If you don't know what conditioning is (getting the fish ready to breed by changing temps, feeding high quality frozen/live foods which helps their bodies prepare for the production of eggs/energy for breeding/care of eggs and fry) than I think you have a lot more to read about before attempting this. They have to be introduced properly. The male needs to have an eggnest ready, or start building one pretty quick from seeing the female 'in' his area. She needs to be 'eggy'. Temp of the water needs to be right, and even after all that they may just not click, or one kills the other, or the dad doesn't care for the eggs/fry.

Also, remember you still have to get homes for all the fry you do managed to raise, so I hope you have someone lined up to sell/take them to. Most people don't care about veiltails anymore, and want the 'fancier' varieties. There are also genetics to considered that will influence colors, fins and body shape.
Right on my friend! These are very, Very wise words! These fish are very delicate, please research more than one web site. Go to many of them. But, keep in mind, what works for one breeder might not work for another breeder. It's a need! to know different ways and things about them before hand. Maybe in a month when I'm ready, I'll post my betta breeding thread and you can read it to gain a little more info, along with what you already know. I have 5 girls in a 55g and 2 boys in smaller tanks. They are ready, but my 55g isn't. Waiting for my plants to grow more, just so I have more cover for more betta's. Anyways, I hope the best for you and your betta's, try not to get your female killed. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom